Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Bloom Where You're Planted

Genesis 2:8-9 - And the Lord God planted a garden in Eden, in the east; and there He put the man whom He had formed. And out of the ground the Lord God made to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight and good for food, the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

It's summer and the freshness of spring's blossoming has turned into the fullness of summer's growth. This is much like a Christian's life. In the springtime of our new life in Christ, the seed of growth has been planted into our lives. God's showers and nurturing of that seed brings about a little green seedling, stretching toward light so it might receive nourishment. I know the reference to seeds in the Bible are to the God's Word, but I picture us also as the seeds (offspring, heirs, as it were) as we stretch toward the Son for His Light that we would receive nourishment through His Word.

So, bloom where you're planted. Adam and Eve were planted in the Garden. The tree of life was there as was the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. I've often wondered where in the grand scheme of things I fit and whether I'm blooming where I'm planted. The scripture above clued me in a bit...where the tree of life and the tree of knowledge happen to be. There's where I want to remain planted. A life in Christ brings that life and the knowledge. Hallelujah! And wherever that life and knowledge is is where I am to be planted.

I could be planted one day with a friend who needs some encouragement, the next day with the laundry that needs tending, the next day at church praying for someone, or right here in this blog. Each minute of my life is a "bloom where you're planted" moment. Wherever God has placed me.

So often I think my planting must be something great when actually it is in the day-to-day activities. So, I think I will stop wondering where I should be planted and remind myself that as long as I'm in Christ and learning from Him, I'm blooming.

Should we worry about where we are planted? No. God knows what we need and where He wants to direct us. He will be there for us, He will nurture us. He will never leave us nor forsake us. He tells us repeatedly, "I am with you always...until the end of the earth." Where He is we can bloom. And the longer we are planted in His Word, the greater our wisdom, knowledge and growth will be.

Jeremiah 17:7-8 - Blessed is the man who trusts in The Lord, whose trust is The Lord. He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment