Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Perfect Heart?

2 Chron 16:9 -The eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth looking for those to whom He may show Himself strong, whose heart is perfect towards Him.

I read a devotion yesterday about having a perfect heart. It seems my heart is imperfect but God tells us that He sees us as we will be...or as we are, in Christ. How can that be? It all comes when we enter into relationship with Jesus Christ, not our religion, not our church, not repetitive prayers. It's only through the saving grace of Jesus Christ. With Christ in us, God only sees us through Christ. That's why it is so important, so imperative, that we have Him in us...so we will be called children of God.

Reverend David Wilkerson of Times Square Church in New York City states: "To come to grips with the idea of perfection, we first must understand that perfection does not mean a sinless, flawless existence. No, perfection in the Lord's eyes means something entirely different. It means completeness."

Hallelujah! We are being completed daily once we've accepted Jesus. We will fall, we will fail, but God will never be let go of us. Completeness--maturity--it only comes with a heart dedicated to learning the things of God and allowing Him to search our hearts to reveal those things that are not appropriate for a life in Christ.

I have two issues going on in my life right now where my heart needs to be strengthened and purified. They are not at all related but I see in them issues of the heart that need to be changed. As hard as these are to go through, I know I will be strengthened and changed and lifted up and out of these things. My heart is being purified.

Rev. Wilkerson also said: "The perfect heart wants the Holy Spirit to come and search out the innermost man, to shine into all hidden parts--to investigate, expose and dig out all that is unlike Christ. Those who hide a secret sin, however, do not want to be convicted, searched or probed." Ouch. These words hurt...I've ignored chastisement in the areas God is dealing with me on today. Do we truly want our hearts pierced? Do we realize the pain that could take place when our hearts are exposed to those ungodly characteristics we harbor? Do we realize the sin of not allowing God control of those areas?

All we need to do, and sometimes it's not easy, is quiet ourselves and listen to the Lord speak to us. (So I quieted myself...and He spoke.)

"My child, why do you struggle so? It is not My way to cause you confusion. I am not the author of confusion. Know that you are my child, you have been saved by My grace and nothing more, I love you with an everlasting love and I will never leave you nor forsake you.

The hearts of my people are precious. I love when you all desire perfection. I am, and always will, be working in you to bring about perfection. Yes, I know your heart--I know its goodness as well as its faults. You strive to do what only I can do. Just let yourself be flexible, allow the chastening. It may seem hard but the end result will be so worth it.

Look at the people in my Word whom I have had to test and chasten, whose hearts were hard or rebellious...yes, even fearful...despite their devotion to Me. It's your nature but I am in the midst of your heart just the same. I am perfecting it though you don't always know it. Just cling to Me, stay in My presence and look to My strength. Call out to Me immediately and I'll respond. I'm but a thought or call away. I will work on that heart of yours. This is My guarantee."

Rev. Wilkerson had a positive word: "I want to encourage you: it is possible [to have a perfect heart] or God would not have given us such a call. Having a perfect heart has been part of the life of faith from the time God first spoke to Abraham: 'I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect." (Genesis 17:1)

We can believe God's words to us. No matter what we think about the condition of our heart, He has promised us:

Ephesians 1:13-14 - In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment