Monday, July 13, 2009

Have You Found Your Way?

Acts 17:27 - ...so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us...

I received a call Saturday afternoon from a friend from my past. She became my first husband's second wife and that's when we became friends! We have not seen or talked to each other for several years. Her call left me speechless. She informed me that Stephen, my first husband, died early that morning. He was 61. He had moved to Grand Junction, Colorado 10 years ago, the last time I had contact with him, and just moved back to Madison, Wisconsin, and dissolved his business when his melanoma returned "with a vengeance." He refused further treatment. She went on to say that he lived a full, successful life in his work, in the community and church. In April he had received an award of excellence for his business achievements from the college he attended. We always remained friends after our divorce although we did not see each other often.

I always thought I would see him again some day. I thought we would catch up on how we are faring in life, what we were doing, what has changed. He will never know my heart. I do not believe he had a relationship with the Lord. The church he attended believed Jesus was only a teacher and prophet but not the Son of God. I know that we never know for sure just what happens in our last days, hours or minutes. The Lord is patient, desiring that none should perish (2Peter 3:9). In times like this hopefully one tends to think more about the spiritual things of God. I can only pray that Stephen was visited in some way by someone and allowed his spirit, his heart to receive Him.

When I woke up Sunday morning and heard the birds singing, the big bullfrog croaking and saw the sun just beginning to rise, I thanked God for another day. I thanked Him for all He has given me and for the promise that one day I will experience Heaven and it will be more glorious that all that is outside the windows of our house. Nothing in our life is sure. Without Christ as our foundation our lives are meaningless. In a moment's notice your life, my life, anyone's life, can be taken. That's why it is so important to have that relationship with God. That is why He is constantly planting seeds within our hearts that we might allow them to be watered, grow and mature in the knowledge of Him. I know there are some who will disagree with this. I'm just thankful that does not include me.

The obituary stated he was a wayfinding expert. I knew this was his profession but felt led to look up the definition. I say "led" because I know it was the Holy Spirit's leading when I read this: it is a means to finding your way when you are in an unfamiliar location, or simply put, a help when you are lost. It means knowing where you are and your destination, following the best route, recognizing your destination, and finding your way back.

There is just nothing in my life that somehow doesn't have a spiritual connotation. I can't help seeing Jesus in everything. Didn't Jesus come to this earth to help us find our way? We are like sheep, according to God's Word, and we tend to wander and get lost. Jesus shows us the direction we need to take. The destination? Heaven and eternal life. The best route? Jesus. Not only is He the Shepherd for the lost, He is called the Way. He is the One who finds us then points us in the right direction to the right destination. With His help, His guidance, we will recognize that destination--before we even arrive. And if we wander or stray, He is there to lead us back to the best route--to Him.

One thing that struck me in the death notice was that being a wayfinding expert, "he designed his journey through cancer deliberately, deftly and with elegance that was his signature style." No doubt he had strength in his resignation. I can only pray that his strength came from the Lord. I know that only God is the Master Planner. He knows the number of our days and it is at His hand that our lives end.

I pray that his mother and brothers, even if they do not recognize it, will experience the peace that only God can bring. I pray that they will experience God. Let their hearts be willing to receive.

Psalm 48:14 - For this is God, our God forever and ever; He will be our guide even to death.

1 comment:

  1. When it hits close to home, we become more alert and more attentive, don't we? Death has a way of stopping us like no other. A wayfinding expert... he designed his journey through cancer ... I want God's design for my lifelong journey ... nothing else will do. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete