Thursday, July 23, 2009

Death to Life?

Deuteronomy 30:19 - I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live...

Death to life? What in the world does that mean? How can death bring life? Even in the Old Testament (above) God was teaching the difference between death and life. It was quite by coincidence, not purpose, that I write today's blog. The idea came to me in worship on Sunday but I'm just now getting around to expanding on the idea. Coincidence because Oswald Chambers in My Utmost for His Highest wrote yesterday about the "death side" of sactification. Today he wrote about the "life side."

In the world we view death as the end of life. As a believer in Christ death brings life. How can that be? When we come to Christ our old, sinful life is gone and a new life emerges. Being in sin brings death in God's terms. But in Christ we have life. When we die we have two places in which to spend eternity--heaven or hell. They are both real. Heaven is glorious. In hell there will be eternal torment. This may be a concept people don't want to hear or even believe. If the Bible which is the inerrant word of God says this is true, it is.

In Christ we are sanctified and made whole. Sanctification removes all our impurities. Chambers asks us in his July 22 devotion, "Am I willing to reduce myself simply to "me," determinedly to strip myself of all my friends think of me, of all I think of myself, and to hand that simple naked self over to God?" That is death being removed, the thinking that it's all about me. Today Chambers says, "...all the perfections of Jesus are at my disposal, and slowly and surely I begin to live a life of ineffable order and sanity and holiness: 'Kept by the power of God.'" We need to be aware of our actions and words, that they begin to look like Jesus'.

Do you choose life or death? Do you exhibit Christ's qualities or the world's? I know I'm being perfected. I'm glad Chambers said it comes slowly and surely because it seems like it's taking forever. We may have immediate sanctification upon accepting Jesus into our lives, yet still exhibit worldly characteristics. I guess this is an area I need to understand more. All I know is Christ died for my sins--and yours. I know that when we receive Christ wholeheartedly those sins are forgiven and we are saved (from eternal death) and perfecting begins. It's that simple. I'm thankful I have the hope of eternal life, not eternal death, waiting for me some day. I only hope Christ is seen in me. My goal is for this to happen more often than not.

I ask the question again, do you choose eternal life or eternal death?

Romans 6:23 - For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

1 comment:

  1. "Strip myself of all my friends think of me, of all I think of myself" ... that is so tough but oh so necessary ... and freeing!

    ReplyDelete