Friday, July 3, 2009

The Battle is the Lord's

Psalm 55:18 - He has redeemed my soul in peace from the battle that was against me...

Ah, finally I have come to a point where I have happily, peacefully and gratefully allowed myself to let go of something that was burdening me, continually upsetting me and causing irritation. The peace comes from the Lord. I know that I have been fighting a battle that only God can win and I've been trying on my own to do His work. Tsk, tsk. It's awful and joyful at the same time when you finally realize you've been subconsciously arguing with God, or just plain ignoring the still small voice in your spirit.

This battle isn't against an physical enemy. It's a spiritual battle, one that the devil would just as soon see me continue to fight. Why do we do this to ourselves? We sometimes know all along we're fighting against Him and probably causing more harm to a situation than good. But you know what? I love the feeling of freedom and peace when you just let it go. It's a great "aha" moment. There was no struggle but a form of resignation that was not uncomfortable at all. Again, the peace comes from the Lord. I can say that once you've tasted that kind of peace and you know what you did (if it truly was you!), you hope it will happen more frequently in other areas of life!

When you know...when you sense that nagging feeling...and you are in the midst of a troubled spirit and a, or some, circumstance(s) is causing you grief...consider with the Lord what you should do. I think I can fairly say that when I let go I gave up a bit of control and that's just fine. It wasn't doing me much good anyway.

I spoke earlier this week about kicking against the goads. Boy, if this wasn't a lesson in action. You just can't know how thrilled I am to have allowed the Lord to just plunk into my spirit this decision and dedication to Him to do what I cannot. And I humbly and so ecstatically thank God for the lesson. I really do come from some stubborn material sometimes. Now He can get in there while I have gotten myself out of His way and let Him do His work in His time, not mine. Who knows, He might get results even faster than I could...you think?

Who knows us better? Who knows the beginning from the end? Who's the One who puts all the pieces of the puzzle into place for results to take place? Job asked the question: "Can anyone teach God knowledge, since He judges those on high?" Another question in Romans 11:34 asks, "For who has known the mind of the LORD? Or who has become His counselor?" What right do I have to think that I can outdo Him in anything? My only question to Him today is, "Why on earth did it take so long?!" And a request as well, "Don't ever let me be so stubborn again."

I'm glad God has patience. He needs a lot of patience with me, I fear. I seem to be a slow learner in some respects. I'm just grateful that He hasn't given up on me and keeps pushing me to do better. And this comes at a time when I've been wondering if He's been doing anything at all in me. It's good to know that when we allow God to fight our battles, big or small, He will be victorious and so will we...without our help, surprisingly!!! Just remember, it doesn't have to be a physical battle, but a mental or spiritual battle. Whatever kind of battle, the Lord is there for you if you allow Him.

I especially like this because it's so true:

Exodus 14:14 - The LORD will fight for you, and you shall hold your peace.

There's nothing like that peace!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, so true, Laurie...the battle is truly the Lord's. If we are fighting for something to happen...well, we better see if it is ours to fight, and it probably is not.

    ReplyDelete