Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Lord's Provision, Our Idols

Psalm 24:1 - The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it.

I had another thought while taking my little "journey" last week. Not only did God create nature, He was instrumental in creating men, their wisdom and intellect, their gifts and the materials needed to build all things. I passed farms, barns, sheds and fences. Some were old, some abandoned, some well kept. But all were as well part of God's magnificent creation.

What does this have to do with idols? Bear with me on this! God has gifted us with wisdom and skills. Some are skilled with their hands. Yes, man's hands built those structures. However, they are God's creation because He first created us and it is His wisdom given to man that brought about the creation of tools and resources for making every intricate thing. His hands ultimately built these things. It's about what
He has given us and it's all about Him.

So idols?? Yes. So often people take claim for something they believe they have done. Yes, we sometimes off-handedly say, "Look what I did!" I can remember a time when I was so proud of myself for bicycling from point A to point B under my own strength. But it was God who allowed it to happen; He gave me the power and tenacity to do it. Everything has been given by God and is God's. Every accomplishment He ultimately allowed to happen. Every job we've ever had He put in our path. Every dollar made is His. He has given us wisdom, money, houses, land...and all our gifts and talents. It is Hew who should be given the glory for them. He is our Provision.

I didn't learn anything new on this trip. I just believe that He pushed it deeper into my spirit that He is God and nothing is too great for Him, not even those things in my life that I fret about. Pressures, trials, frustrations, fears. Even they can be considered idols because they replace our trust in the Lord's provision. Let Him tackle the things we cannot. Everything is in His hands.

Then there are the physical treasures. We sometimes treasure things in our life that really belong to God. If we could fully understand how everything is His it would not be such a big thing to lose them or let them go. If something is difficult to let go of or to lose, it has become our idol. I'm still learning this lesson myself...

The other week I went morel hunting in the woods behind our house. My husband offered some to his brother (over the phone) and I was standing in front of him shaking my head. I can just imagine what I looked like! "No, no, those are ours!" I was thinking. When he hung up the phone I questioned why he did that. He quietly said, "They're not ours, they're God's." I was humbled and learned a lesson. Another time I had accidentally thrown some pictures away. I was crushed until I was gently reminded that they were only things; I still have memories. If He is our all in all, our provider, what more do we need? People, it's all about Him.

I hope you can see the connection here...His creating and our idols. We tend to take credit for what He has done. We want to keep what He has given us. We are a selfish lot sometimes. I know in my heart of hearts that if I let go of those things I hold on to so dearly, He will bless me in ways I could never understand. So what's holding me back?

1Chronicles 29:11b - For all that is in heaven and in earth is Yours; Yours is the kingdom, O LORD, and You are exalted as head over all.

Lord God, show me those things that I cling to so dearly. Yes, I do not need to live in a state of total abstinence from all things, but I must want what I already have and be content. Let me be happy with the little things of life. Show me where we can be of service to others by using the gifts You have given me. Show me what I need to let go of.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yeah, I see the connection! I also hear once again how our husbands have much to give when we allow ourselves to be quiet enough to listen to them! Wonderfully said, Laurie!

    ReplyDelete