Monday, June 29, 2009

Kicking Against the Goads?

Acts 9:4-5 - "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?" ... "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. It is hard for you to kick against the goads."

Saul of Tarsus was a Pharisee well known among the Jews for his opposition to the teachings and belief in Jesus Christ and his persecution, even murder, of many Christians. One day, however, as he was traveling to Damascus a light came down from heaven causing him to fall to the ground, unable to move. A barrage of questions and answers took place. Jesus explained that it was He whom he was persecuting. Saul responded by asking what He would have him do. Jesus told him to arise, go into the city and wait for further instruction and as he arose, opened his eyes and realized he was blind.

We quite often start out life being blind to the truths of Jesus. At some point in our lives, I would hope, we meet Jesus face to face spiritually and a decision needs to be made...do we receive or reject Him? He may appear many times before true acceptance is accomplished. Sometimes we just don't get it. And then we might have Saul's Damascus Road experience...some not quite so drastic...but the blindness we had becomes sight.

So what does it mean to kick against the goads? Goads were cattle prods and when cattle were poked they would frequently kick back at them. This would cause even more injury. Today people are still "kicking against the goads." (I typed "kicking against the gods." Could that have been a slip? Fighting against God, which it is.) The truth of who Jesus Christ is has been spoken into their lives but because they don't want to hear it (or see it) they are kicking back. The thing I've heard over and over and it pertains to me as well, is that when we are stubborn against God we aren't hurting God in the slightest, we are only hurting ourselves. When someone rejects God, he is hurting himself.

Saul eventually had his sight restored. He had been touched by the hand of God. This time, however, Saul, who eventually became the Apostle Paul, did not fight God. He became a powerful man of God who could not stop preaching Jesus.

When we allow God to touch us and we stop the fighting, He can do amazing things in our lives. Are we ready to stop kicking against the goads? Are we ready to allow God to do that thing He so desires in our lives...to enrich us and to strengthen us for His service? I'm sure I'm still kicking at times. We are called to arise and go. That is our call now that we are believers and followers....go and do. I may not be fighting against the knowledge of God, but kicking against what He wants me to do with the sight that has been restored to me. "I once was blind, but now I see."

We all have a testimony about how the Lord has changed us, how He has opened our eyes, how He has filled us with His Holy Spirit. If nothing else, share that testimony with someone. Get the ball rolling. It might be just the thing someone needs to hear today. And if you have experienced a touch from God, consider responding to the call.

Acts 26:16 - But rise [Saul] and stand on your feet; for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to make you a minister and a witness both of the things which you have seen and of the things which I will yet reveal to you.


Lord, forgive me for any time I have kicked against the goads! When will I understand that my life would be much simpler if I didn't do that. There are things, I truly believe, that You have been waiting to reveal to me and plans I cannot conceive for my life. There are things I know you can do through me that I'm afraid, yes afraid, to even wonder about. Let me look forward and let me be led by You. Let me stop injuring myself, as it were. Bring forth the power of Your Holy Spirit which You have so richly blessed me with. Let Your Spirit be my guide, even today.

No comments:

Post a Comment