Friday, June 19, 2009

Look to the Lord


2Chronicles 4:11 ... "LORD, it is nothing for You to help, whether with many or with those who have no power; help us, O LORD our God, for we rest on You ... O LORD, You are our God; do not let man prevail against You!"

[His power is superior and infinite to all others.]


I've been putting off this topic but it's on my heart. Anyone these days can sense the turmoil in our nation and in the world. Things are not going smoothly and it doesn't take much to see that it isn't going to get better all too soon. But there's an excitement as well.


Some say, and I believe myself, that we are seeing the birth pains described in the Bible...those days preceding the last days. It keeps going over and over in my head that we truly need to be focusing more on God for answers, looking to Him, as we ought, sitting at His feet.


God's plans are laid clearly out in his Word. He has shown us over and over through the ages what is right and true and just. God never changes. He is all powerful, ever present, filled with all wisdom--which He gives to us in what might seem as small increments, if we desire to receive it.


In Daniel 2:21 it states that God changes the times and the seasons and raises kings and deposes them. In other words, God is in control of all things that man perceives as man's doing. Yes, these are exciting times we live in. Yes, despite the turmoil, we see God's hand at work (and His handiwork) and see what the Bible has predicted all along would happen:


Matthew 24:4-14 - And Jesus answered and said to them: "Take heed that no one deceives you. For many will come in My name, saying, "I am the Christ,' and will deceive many. And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of sorrows. Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name's sake. And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. But he who endures to the end shall be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come."


Does any of this sound like the world today? Our world and our nation has fallen away from God. What once was right and true and just is now the opposite. Good is now considered evil and evil is considered good in the eyes of many. "Woe unto them who call evil, good, and good, evil" Isaiah 5:30 states. Oh, as individuals we've probably not really contributed to the evil. But we have allowed ourselves to become complacent and accepting little by little of the things that the Lord cannot tolerate...slandering His name, all the crime that takes place, homosexuality, even the dividing of Israel. There are so many avenues I could take on this whole subject....


God's greatest desire is for us to look to Him, to follow Him, trust Him and have faith in Him. And "Him" is Jesus (and Jesus is God). He has already shown us what is right and wrong in His Word. I do believe history repeats itself. The Old Testament is filled with detail about what happens to nations that disregard Him. It saddens me that so many don't see a connection. All one needs to do is look at creation and know there is a Divine Creator, One who measures the universe with the palm of His hand, who names the stars and knows the very number of hairs on our heads. And He is also the One who brings and will bring judgment upon this earth.


A tough message but true. A day doesn't go by that I don't wonder when His hand of judgment will come down. Perhaps some will think this is nonsense. People have been proclaiming the end of the world as we know it for some time...it's just another scare tactic. By the way the world looks now we have to admit things have progressed for the worse quickly over the past 60 years. A day will truly come and who will be ready for it? The road is wide to destruction, so we are told, and many will be on it. I sometimes wonder myself if I will be ready. That's why I'm spending time sitting at the feet of Jesus, learning and listening.

Psalm 121:1-2 I will lift up my eyes to the hills--from whence comes my help? My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth.


Heavenly Father, I thank You that You are in control of all things. I thank You that You have called my name and my name is written in the Lamb's Book of Life and will not be blotted out. You have given me an understanding of the things that are happening in this world. Lord, continue to give clear messages. Thank You for standing beside me in the midst of trials and for promising to always be there. There is a peace that comes from knowing that our hope need only be in You even if we face difficult, trying situations. You have touched me, now let me touch others that they may enter into this peace as well. Thank You, Lord. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment