Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Believing in What We Don't See

1Kings 17:10-12,15 - And he [Elijah] called to her (a widow) and said, "Please bring me a little water in a cup, that I may drink." And as she was going to get it, he called to her and said, "Please bring me a morsel of bread in your hand." So she said, "As the LORD your God lives, I do not have bread, only a handful of flour in a bin, and a little oil in a jar..." [But] she went away and did according to the word of Elijah; and she and he and her household ate for many days.

To continue on this thing called belief....belief can also be called trust or faith. This is a great story about Elijah the prophet and a widow God has asked him to seek out. It's a story about believing something will happen when we don't see the possibility that it will happen. It's about believing in a God whose wisdom, power and purpose far exceeds our own. He knows our needs before we do ourselves.

I was reading something one day where the author was put into a position where company was suddenly coming that evening and she had no time to shop for food. She did what she could with what she had. Having no bread or potatoes and only having one cup of rice to feed more than what one cup should feed, all she did was make the rice according to the instructions...and pray! That takes faith and believing in what she couldn't see. Somehow it was enough to feed the lot of them! She explained this isn't going to happen in every circumstance but when a person's back is totally against the wall and there's no where else to turn, God sees the consequences and can step in if we are willing to go to Him. Believing in what we don't see.

Are we going to believe that God has a plan and purpose for our life? A day will come when things in this world, I'm certain, will bring concern to many. Questions will be asked: Why is this happening? Where did this all come from? Where can we turn for leadership or comfort, protection or support? Perhaps this might be the time when my voice will be available to be heard. At the appropriate time--for such a time as this--in His perfect timing. I could write how I have struggled with anxiousness in some areas of my Christian life. After Sunday's sermon, however, I will refrain! We are told to be anxious for nothing, fear not. It is our faith in God that will sustain us, even in our words. It's not about me but about the great God we have to do the seemingly impossible, like in the widow woman's dilemma...we come to the end of ourselves and just believe that God will intervene.

Perhaps God's purpose is coming together for me right now through spending more time in the Word and letting myself be filled with words I will be able to speak some day. I realize we don't need to know everything now. He can use me today if He so desires, if I am observant to what's happening around me and obedient to speak if necessary. In fact, I know He'd rather I not be prepared. Again, it's about my believing in what He will do in me. Believing that as Jesus was one with the Father, so I am one with Him. Believing in His power, not my own. Believing in His wisdom, not mine. Believing that His purpose is greater than my own. Believing in what I just don't see....

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. For we walk by faith, not by sight. (Hebrews 11:1, 2 Corinthians 5:7)

1 comment:

  1. So true, and right now I must do just that! Believe in what I cannot see ... while NOT being anxious. Oh, and I so love the EAT sign! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete