Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Gravel Roads and Valleys vs. Paved Roads and Ridges!

Proverbs 104:8 - They went up over the mountains; they went down into the valleys, to the place which You founded for them.

As I drove the back roads of Wisconsin last week I stayed clear of the hustle and bustle of well-travelled roads. I encountered valley roads and ridge roads, patched roads, old, cracked roads and gravel roads. Up and down, back and forth. I wish I would have kept track of the miles each day. I'm sure it did not add up to very many.

These roads are like our lives. We experience highs and lows and different types of conditions. And God is in the midst of all, refining and repairing that we might get to the place He has just for us.

I found driving gravel roads took more time. It was not easy taking curves with those little stones rolling under the wheels and the dust rising behind the car. We might experience some rough times, where like gravel, our lives are bumpy, unstable and clouded. It may be that God has placed on this gravel road to work out some of the roughness in our life. It will take a little more time but He will make the repairs and allow us to travel again on a smooth, paved surface, with clearness of vision.

This is similar to being in the valley. Down the valley roads the sun was not as pronounced. There was more shade and trees overhung the roadway. When we have valley experiences in our life we might experience shadows and darkness. When God has us in these places, He might have us there to be corrected or to learn and grow. The days appear to be dark, but growth occurs just the same. You sometimes can't see past the difficulty, like you can't see past the next curve in the valley road, but God is working just the same. Trust He is doing a good work!

Paved roads are, no doubt, the best for driving. They're smoooooth! Although I still didn't drive quickly, I could have had I wanted to. I enjoyed the time on paved roads. We experience smooth times in life as well and enjoy those days, often not wanting them to end. They are the ridges of life! On the ridges the sun was high and warm. The ground was dry. At the top you could see for miles in any direction. You could see hill upon hill of growth and farms. You could see how the road extended ahead and where you'd come from. It was exhilarating. On the ridges of our lives, nothing is able to stop us. We can see more clearly into the days ahead.

God takes us through valleys and over gravel roads to continue the process of repairing and eventually leads us to a place where the road is smooth, in (His) good repair and a mountain top experience. He does this is so we will see where we have come from and where we are headed through His grace and loving repair. In the end, following His path for our life will bring the best results. Allow the valleys and the ridges of life. Allow God to take you to those places He has founded for you! And remember that God is with you always.

Isaiah 49:11 - I will make each of My mountains a road, and My highways shall be elevated.

Lord, thank You for the hills and valleys of our lives, for the patching and repairing You so often do, for the highs and lows of life when You are working in us. Continue to work in me that those gravelly and patched areas of my life would be truly repaired. Work in the valleys that I might ride the ridges. In Your name I pray, Jesus, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment