Wednesday, August 19, 2009

On One Hand...

Psalm 16:8 - I have set the LORD always before me; Because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved.

Oh my gosh, I really do have it bad...or good. Depends upon your personal view! What in the world am I talking about? Shall I tell you? Okay, then. I'm guilty...of not being able to do very much in my life anymore without pondering God. I can't imagine a day going by where He doesn't enter my thoughts, even in the littlest of things. For those who understand this, it's a good thing. For those who don't know what it's like, it may be considered obsessive and "bad." And yet, the word bad today by some is considered good. Go figure. It's sort of like the world...upside down.

So, I was cleaning our hardwood floors yesterday morning. Like most women, my thoughts were bouncing from here to there, back to here and on again to there. Like that ball of wire Mark Gungor tells us women's brains are like.

On one hand I was thinking about my father and the life he led. No idea how that all came into my thoughts. He did not live a stellar life, I sadly admit, not one to be totally proud of. He was not a perfect example of a father who was there for me, who I trusted and knew well. He was there physically and that was it. He was also not a perfect example of a husband. That got me to thinking how my mother, perhaps because of my father (or vise versa--who knows for sure but God) became not too good an example of a mother and wife. All because neither of them, nor I at the time, knew Jesus personally. So I wondered about my own abilities as a wife. I should be better because of Jesus' example. But am I really? That thought exited my head all too quickly!

I got to thinking, on the other hand, about why people don't want to know Jesus, don't want to hear the Truth of His Word. It's that the Light of His truth is too hard to look at. Of course, we Christians know it's because it is the Light that shows us how we are but filthy rags and sinful in the Light of Jesus. No one wants to be told point blank that their lifestyle, their words, their actions are contradictory to what God wishes to see. So, backs are turned against the Truth. The Light is shut off. Conviction is too threatening so it is ignored. And my thoughts of my being a good wife returned as I wrote this. Is that conviction? Hmmm....

Then, on my third hand...I began to think about how when we are cleaned up by God, we shine, like the floors I was cleaning. The dirt that clings to us is removed. It is "washed" away. We are buffed and polished by the hand of God. Sometimes some of the stains need to be gone over numerous times, they are set so deep. But we become spotless--in God's eyes. Oh, God will have to spot clean every once in awhile when we spill and stain our cleanliness. But God, as always, is there to help us, to remind us to keep ourselves clean--if we listen.

I know what God thinks about my obsessing about Him. He absolutely loves it. He blesses those whose thoughts are on Him. Psalm 26:3 is telling me that He will keep me in perfect peace because my mind is stayed on Him and because I trust in Him. It shows we love Him to have our thoughts be upon Him so frequently. Our thoughts are the high and lofty things of God. Is this seeking God with our whole heart? Is that how He keeps His Word ever before us? It is in this presence, while cleaning, driving, whatever, that there is the joy spoken of in Psalm 16. Not only is He at my right hand, I am at His. I think of when we say we are in Christ. Think of backing slowly into Him and becoming one with Him. Where are our right hands?? And I am right with God.

On even another hand, I'm almost ashamed to say most of my friends don't even know these thoughts go through my head. They don't know the depths of my heart and I wonder if it would make them uncomfortable to even know this? They don't know what they're missing. Obsess about Him! Let Him speak to you...and listen. Let His Light expose the dirt and then allow God to start washing, buffing and polishing you.

Psalm 16:11 - You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing moves me more than when someone shares their insides with me...and you shared your insides here! Thank you for being so "real!"

    ReplyDelete