Tuesday, August 4, 2009

God's Righteous Judgment

Romans 2:1-3 - Therefore you are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are who judge, for in whatever you judge another you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things. But we know that the judgment of God is according to truth against those who practice such things. And do you think this, O man, you who judge those practicing such things, and doing the same, that you will escape the judgment of God?

The Book of Romans was written to set straight the nature of the Gospel. It teaches the need for salvation for all people. It teaches that it is God's power alone through the Gospel of Jesus Christ, which He provided, that saves. The Gospel reveals what His righteousness is.

I write about the awesomeness of God. I write about His love. Yes, these are two of His many characteristics. We need to understand the awesomeness and His love for us to be drawn to Him. Yet, He is also a God of judgment. I've written about the judgment of nations and even our own country. As a nation that was developed through Christian beliefs, we are probably judged most.

The Book of Romans is a hard, critical book showing us that although those who God has called and redeemed also need to realize their own sin. It's not enough to just believe we are saved by grace and leave it at that. It's not enough to just be thankful for God's mercy, grace and love. Those who stick to just those ideas are in for a reality check some day. We must allow God's work in our lives to cause us to look more like the image of God and his characteristics. We can never be God but we can attain a look that is His.

Romans 2 talks about judging. I know I have a problem with this and I hate to admit it. We are told when we judge (and who are we to do this?) we will be judged accordingly by God. This scares the daylights out of me. It doesn't need to be outward words but inward thoughts. How hard it is--for me--to control those things when they've been a part of my life for so long.

Why is it there? I believe it starts with self-esteem and lack thereof. I've always felt inferior in many ways. My confidence is lacking. So, to build myself up there is that desire to find fault in others. Ouch. Don't we all do this at times? Someone hurts our feelings or tells us we're wrong. Our egos are deflated. But aren't we supposed to now have the mind of Christ and His power in our lives? Yes, but obviously, I'm resisting.

We are told that when we judge others we are, ourselves, doing the same thing. I can argue this point but I'm probably wrong. However, I've caught friends doing things which I would never do. Never! So what am I missing? Have I done the same things in similar ways? Only God can show me this. Lord, help me to overcome these judgments. Help me to remove the plank from my own eye.

Romans 2:21a says: You, therefore, who teach another, do you not teach yourself? So here I am, sharing my thoughts. My intent in this blog has been to learn from my writing and I believe the writing comes from the Holy Spirit's wisdom. So, do I love as I should...sometimes. Do I speak kindly to others...depends. Do I gossip...probably, sometimes. The list goes on. "Sometimes," though, doesn't cut it. Do something just once and it's wrong. Although I do not physically kill someone, my words might. Although I don't pray physically to idols, there are things that consume my time. Do I blaspheme God? Not with words, but wouldn't my lack of words about Him be considered the same thing? To blaspheme is the act of insulting or lack of reverence for God. I may not be outwardly insulting Him or lacking reverence but I could be acting as if I'm ashamed of Him. Same thing?

Romans 3:12b tells us There is none who does good, no, not one. To add "insult to injury" Romans 3:18 says There is no fear of God before their eyes. Of course this second verse is talking about those who outwardly reject God. But, it also shows me that I need to fear Him more in order to stave off at least some of His judgment.

God will judge us all, whether we know Him or not. If we know God and we know His Word, we have the laws written in our hearts and we should "know better" and do accordingly. Our consciences should be pricked when we have done wrong. That is why a relationship with the Lord, accepting Jesus into our lives, is important. Without it we will never fully understand what God requires. His judgments are righteous. He has certain standards we must live by. But we need His help, His power and His wisdom to transform our lives. That said, I'd much rather be confronted now for my words, actions or deeds than later.

Romans 3:5-6 - If our sins show how right God is, what can we say? Is it wrong for God to punish us for it? ... No, not at all! If it were wrong for God to punish us, how could He judge the world?

1 comment:

  1. So appreciate your honesty. It really is our judgement that makes us every bit as wrong as someone who is doing the unthinkable ...I'm starting to wonder if I will ever get it all out of me...the plank!

    ReplyDelete