Friday, August 7, 2009

Come, and Listen Intently

Jeremiah 29:13 - And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.

Do you ever have days when you question your walk with God? I do. I know I'll never quit following Him, but there are days when I don't feel His presence and I feel like resting...and not always in Him.

Sometimes I think I get myself too caught up in trying so hard to be in Christ instead of just letting myself be and letting God be in me. Make sense? Oh how there are days when just being secluded from all things, nestled away in the woods, surrounded by tall, old trees with a trickling stream running cheerfully by seem like the perfect solution. The sun, of course, would be peering down to brighten the yard. I would be settled on a blanket on the grass, basking in the sun and in the Son.

No telephone, no radio, no television. Just me, myself, I and God. Birds would be aflutter and squirrels cavorting with each other. I'd have a good book (and the Good Book) or two. And I'd have a notebook for the times God would have something wonderful to tell me. There'd be no computer, no car...nothing to distract me. No kitties.

Those are dreams I have. Total solitude. Nothing but the fresh air and sounds of nature. More than what sometimes feels like bits and pieces of my day intent on the Lord.

There are also days when I wish everyone would know the Lord that we could share the wonders of Him together. I suppose I could just sit and share with the Lord Himself. I know He would appreciate that. Just bask in the quiet and listen for His words of wisdom. Shut the world out for a time and consider who He is for me.

That's not always what He wants us to do, however. We are to be so aware of the people He brings into our presence each day. We are to be cognizant of others' needs. I wish I could get to that place in my life. I wish I could hear other people's needs as they spoke. I wish I could feel what other people feel and have the words to speak to them. What is missing in my life that I can't do this? It must be the busyness and distractions of each day. Where's the discipline in my life? There have been times when I sensed the presence of God just over my right shoulder behind me. I knew He was there.

Where has my heart been lately? Has it been so distracted that I need to retreat for a day? I don't like feeling "alone" in my day to day things. Does anyone else go through this? Does anyone doubt their walk with the Lord?

Jesus drew away occasionally from things to be with His Father. Why shouldn't we? We need a time of refreshing. Perhaps what I am sensing is what has been coming up in my head over and over...the blog is becoming a work. It's time to get back to sitting at His feet and just resting and listening. I've felt detached and perhaps He's trying to draw me back to Him. So...today I will do that. I will answer no calls and just find a quiet spot in the yard to hunker down, with that blanket, His Word and a notebook and meditate on the Lord and listen for His voice. I will converse only with Him.

I'm thankful that He doesn't leave us high and dry. I think He stands behind the lattice in hopes that we will seek Him. He remains close by, but hidden. He allows the emptiness within in order for us to come once again into His presence. He woos us all over again. My heart is anxious. It's time to go to receive of the Living Water and breakfast on the Bread of Life.

Mark 6:31 - And He said to them, "Come aside by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while."

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I have to comment myself. My day was not my own...oh, the intents that just don't always happen. I will let God direct me to the right day instead of forcing it to happen myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! I have to comment on my own post. What I had intended to do, never happened. God had other plans and I had to be flexible. I will let Him lead me next time instead of trying to force a day of rest.

    ReplyDelete