Tuesday, August 18, 2009

L-o-n-g Life

Psalm 91:14-16 - "Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will set him on high, because he has known My name. He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him, And show him My salvation."

Our world, our nation, our struggles. God knows about it all. I will sound like a broken record when I say the problem with this world and our nation and individual struggles is having taken our eyes, our focus off God. Some have never once focused on Him. I can only hope and pray that a day will come when it will become so obvious to others that He is the answer to all our worries. And I truly believe this will begin to happen in my lifetime. The things of this world are getting grim. Hearts may be beginning to fail out of fear.

Over and over the Bible tells us to fear not, trust in God. It is our trust in God that will save us. It is He who will deliver us out of trouble. We must acknowledge only Him, the King of kings and LORD of lords. It is He who set this world in motion, who spoke and it just WAS. God is the great I AM. It is He we are to call on. It is He who will respond. It is He whose voice we hear prompting us and convicting us to look to Him.

He is with us in our time of trouble--if we know Him. We can have the assurance that no matter what we go through here on earth He will be our Provider. He is the One who rescues. He loved us before the beginning of time. He loved us while we were yet sinners. He brought us life so that we could know Him. So why do people scoff? Why do people trust in man or even themselves? Why do some choose to put Him on the back burner with the thought that some day they will heed Him, but not right now because there are other things in this world that are working seeking.

The long life that is mentioned in the scripture above is not talking about physical life. Long life, in Christ, is eternal life. It is the only life that has any meaning. We see how this world's seasons come and go. Life begins, life grows, it begins to fade and then it dies...only to come back again. When we know Christ, our life ceases to go through those seasons spiritually. We are totally dead in our life before Christ. When we acknowledge the Lord in our life we are resurrected spiritually. We come back to life, as was Christ. We are born again. But this time our life takes on a different meaning. Yes, we still go through the seasons of life physically...but with the assurance of eternal life in Christ when our last day on earth is over.

Our life on earth is still filled with all the highs and lows like everyone else. But we always have that hope to hang on to...a day when our life is done on earth but then we will be with Jesus.

Know God, know peace. Amid hard times, amid loss, amid sorrows. Only Jesus brings underlying peace. I want to know for a fact that I will be in the house of God, in that mansion He has for me. I personally don't know who I will see when I get to heaven; hopefully I will be very pleased. I may even be surprised. But I will be secure. Psalm 84:10 has often mimicked my unspoken desires: For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness. It may seem like a boring task to us on earth, but I guarantee it would be exciting in the courts of God. (Imagine all who you might run into as a doorkeeper!)

Psalm 92:13 - Those who are planted in the house of the LORD shall flourish in the courts of our God.

No comments:

Post a Comment