Thursday, May 28, 2009

No Such Thing

Romans 3:10 - "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:"

I was in my car yesterday morning and heard a song. Never heard it before so I don't know the name of it. The chorus, I believe, was: "There's no such thing as perfect people." It got me to thinking two things: 1) I think this is fodder for a blog, 2) I wish I had a voice recorder with me because I know I'll forget what I wanted to write!

Anyway, it's true, both about there being no perfect person and I did forget what I really wanted to write! Adam and Eve were perfect until the apple incident. Because of that men have to work for a living instead of walking in a lush, perfect garden talking with God face to face. Women get to endure the pain of childbirth and living in a male-dominated society instead of walking beside him. (Although sometimes that is possible.) Despite what Adam and Eve did for mankind, God had a Plan B already in place.

All through history we have seen imperfect people. Even those who walked closely with God were imperfect: Abraham (and Sarah) rushed into finding a solution for having children before God's perfect timing. Moses disobeyed God's command to speak to a rock to bring water and chose to strike it out of anger and frustration with the rebellious, grumbling people of Israel. And then there's David, a man after God's own heart, who couldn't take his eyes off Bathsheba as she bathed on her rooftop. Joseph spoke about a dream he had which included his family. His brothers' jealousy caused him captivity in Egypt. There are many other instances but the beauty of all these is God used the imperfection to bring about His good.

What I love is that we are all imperfect people, even when we have asked Jesus into our lives. I've heard us called "cracked pots." Only the Master Potter is able to repair those cracks. He's the One who molds and shapes us into the men and women we really should be. He sees us as we should, can and will be as His children. It's never too late. He asks us to be regenerated, "formed or created again or spiritually reborn or converted" as Webster's Dictionary tells us. John 3:3 tells us that "Jesus answered and said to him, 'Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.'"

There's God's Plan B--that we be reconciled to Him and be able to walk daily with Him (like Adam and Eve) and be assured that when we commune with Him, He hears us. That happens when we acknowledge a need for Jesus in our lives. God sent His only Son into the world that the Truth of who He is (not was) would spread. God's Plan B is for all imperfect "cracked pots." Everyone needs a Savior whether it is acknowledged or not. Part of our imperfection is thinking we are good to go without Him. Just knowing who Jesus is is not enough. We must accept Him and listen to Him speak through His Word.

We will never live perfect lives, but Jesus in our lives causes us to be made more into His likeness, conformed and transformed. Cracked pots can be mended. Jesus mends cracked pots. He doesn't require us to be perfect to be a follower of His. He will see to it that in His Kingdom, should He be accepted today, we will receive our new, unbroken bodies. Yesterday I mentioned how water refreshes and takes away our thirst. If our pots are cracked that water seeps out. Let Jesus mend your cracked pot and receive the Living Water He provides! Let Him perfect You.

1 Corinthians 13:10 - But when the complete and perfect comes, the incomplete and imperfect will vanish away.

Father God, Lord of all creation, Master Potter, thank You for taking my cracked pot and working out the imperfections. I know it's a never-ending process and there will be no perfection in this lifetime. I also thank You there will be no cracked pots in Heaven because of the new bodies You provide in the new world if we acknowledge You now. It is Your desire that all of imperfect mankind would find a way to You to be made new through You. I thank You that You do not require perfection before this can happen but that You will not only mend our imperfections but make us whole through our knowledge of You.

No comments:

Post a Comment