Monday, May 4, 2009

"My Child..."

Mark 10:15 -  I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.

What a week, what an adventure and what a delight for me as I took our "niece-in-law" and her 15 month old baby, Aurelia, to Arizona. I know God was allowing me to learn through this week. I must thank Him, however, that I lost the baby inflections before seeing my husband again!!

As I told our niece one day, I had no preconceived ideas about this week. I only wanted to follow the steps that were ordered for each day. I had settled in my spirit that this trip was not about my desires, but whatever we could do according to a baby's schedule. I was flexible.

Oh my. Aurelia is really a hoot. She never stopped investigating things. She loved the sound of her bare feet padding noisily on the tile floors. She'd waddle endlessly around the living room and kitchen inspecting new objects, opening and closing cabinet doors, taking things out and handing them to us. I'd never seen the living room decorated in quite the manner that Aurelia did. I believe it would be classified as the casual look of Toys R Us. She marveled at the new sights and sounds of the warm southwestern settings and weather. She spent her first time in a pool floating delightfully in a baby inner tube, always wanting to crawl out of the pool and trusting her mother to hoist once again back into the water. She experienced her first scraped knee and a bandage that did not last an hour because of the curiosity of a little child. Our niece and I both believe she grew ever so slightly in the past week.  Isn't that what God desires for us? To learn and grow as little children?

The days we had events planned she was allowed to be free of her stroller and walk occasionally. We were surprised when she went the opposite direction we were headed. I wondered why she did that and the thought came that perhaps she was returning to where we had been because it was familiar territory. Or was it defiance, although she did not appear to have that defiant attitude--yet.

What amazed me was how she remembered things. She immediately figured out how to open the pantry door--and never forgot that door--where she rearranged the shelves. She knew the last place she'd seen her mommy and would look for her there. She knew to said hi into the portable phone (and anything that had buttons and could be held in her hand). Despite the fact she is rarely set before a television at home, she instinctively sat in a little chair with a remote control and pointed it at the television! 

She began to talk up a storm in a language I believe only God understands. She speaks an occasional word, like "down," "cheese," "rock" and sometimes a short sentence that sounds like "I get down." She loves the word "mine" and it is said with a big smile and an outstretched, opened hand. Everything is hers! I think the word most often spoken was "lamby" which she would say when she needed to know the security that only her "lamby" could bring. She'd grab him by the ear and her thumb would go in her mouth.  Then shortly lamby was on the floor or she'd be handing him to someone. And when things really get out of this little baby's control, she would run to mommy where she will find love, comfort and as much understanding as can be found.

Is this how God sees us as His children? I'm thankful He loves little children. I'm thankful that we are called to come as little children into His Kingdom. When we first enter into His Kingdom, we go about our lives much like Aurelia. We voraciously experiment, learn and absorb, even remember. We walk in the opposite direction sometimes looking for what was once a comfortable place when we become uncomfortable. We even tend, in our sometimes selfish ways, to think of everything as "mine." I'm so thankful that when things get out of control in our own lives we can run to our Father for His love, comfort and understanding.

I see God sitting on His throne, watching the world play out before His eyes. I see Him smiling and laughing as we take our first spiritual steps and wobble or waddle in childlike manner as we learn. I see how patient He is with us, allowing us to make mistakes, speak words that are not quite complete in meaning, knowing that as we grow, our wisdom will also grow.  He allows those baby steps of learning to take place. He allows the stumbles and falls and scraped knees and tears of frustration and fear when something happens unexpectedly and frightens us.  

I hear Him saying, "My child, you are now in My hands. I will protect You. I will teach you. I will cause you to grow. Do not fear, for I am with you always, like a mother to her child. You will stumble, you will fall, but I will always pick you up and comfort you. I am patient with you during the times when you want to go your own direction until I direct you back, even lift you to carry you in the right direction. This is the way a loving Father is. You speak words that sometimes make no sense, but I understand where you're coming from and know that one day you will speak with intelligence as you learn. I will see to it that you never stop learning, as long as you are close to Me and follow My lead. You are My child and I will never stop loving you. When things are unsettling in your life, call upon your 'Lamby' for comfort.  He will be there for you."

1Peter 2:2-3 - ...as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby, if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious. 

Abba Father, I thank you not only for the lessons I learned last week but for who You are in all our lives.  You call us, draw us, teach us and comfort us. You set us back on the right path when we wander.  There just isn't much more to be said. Thank You for never giving up. You are an awesome God and I thank You for being our Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment