Monday, May 18, 2009

Author and Finisher and Hope


Hebrews 12:1-2 - Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith. How good is that? Isn't what we as believers are to do is let every weight and sin be laid aside so we can be followers of Christ, running with endurance the race before us? What is that race? What has God got purposed for our lives? Sometimes it's not very obvious. Sometimes I wish it was very plainly written out for me. But I think part of the plan is to see just how willing we are to do as His Word says. Obedience...in everything. Sounds like quite an undaunting task. And who can we compare ourselves with? We are not to, we are told. But still, that question comes to mind: Am I doing Your will? Is this what you want me to do? It's a question that is never really answered.

Does it really matter where we are headed as long as we are conferring with the Lord along the way? If we are willing to let the Spirit move us, isn't that enough? Being flexible, moldable, teachable, obedient? I'm thankful Jesus is the author and finisher of my faith. I'm thankful for what He did 2,000 years ago not just for me but for all mankind. Where would any of us be if it had not been for Him? I'm thankful for His Word which gives us examples of right and wrong and blessings and curses. I'm thankful even for a conscience that is sometimes pricked at even the smallest of things. All God wants for us is good. Why would we want anything less?

We have seen throughout the books of the Bible that "so great a cloud of witnesses" who did what was good in the eyes of God. We have also seen accounts of so many who have done evil. It's good we have the examples of wrong. Perhaps that's where the comparison is. What amazes me is despite the judgment of God upon those who were disobedient to His commandments, they didn't change. No different today.

Every so often I doubt myself and the direction I'm going. I think a little doubt keeps me coming to the Lord for guidance. I'm secure in my salvation but I still am not sure of my direction. I keep thinking one day I'll wake up and I'll know just where I am headed. I'm reminded, however, to "bloom where I'm planted." If this is where I'm planted today, that's all I need to be concerned about.

The Author and Finisher of our faith. The One who knows the beginning from the end. Author = beginning, Finisher = end. The WORD. The One who created me, who knew where I would be on any given day and what I would do on that day even before time began. More than I can comprehend. What I know I need to do is let go of the questions, the doubt. God is not the author of confusion, but of peace and hope for my future, my Author and Finisher. How can we doubt that? Praise the Lord!

Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Lord God, I thank You that You are forgiving of our doubt on some days. Today there is doubt, tomorrow forging ahead once again. Ah, fickle feelings, which we are not to even count on. Continue to direct me. Continue to bless me as You speak to me in Your Word. Let Your Spirit work mightily in me. Fill me to overflowing with anything You desire that I might share it with others. All I want to do is Your will in my life. Lead me down the right path. Thank you for the future You have planned for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment