Wednesday, May 6, 2009

1John 2:5 - Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Yesterday it was impressed upon me that there is nothing more important in this life than having a fear of the Lord. Nothing else in this world matters as much as that reverent fear. Our whole spiritual life and eternal life hinges on this fear. If we fear the Lord we will make a concerted effort to please God, obey his statutes and live according to His will.

A couple in our church gave a testimony on Sunday. Their house burned down Christmas Eve destroying everything. There was nothing left worth trying to restore. As devastating as that was they trusted the Lord. There were questions, of course.  Why? Why Christmas Eve? Despite the sorrow of having lost all their things they learned that it was just that--things. Their lives were not destroyed and God was still with them. What more could they need? Their house and their furnishings could be replaced and their lives would be restored. Their God had been alongside them. An amazing story and one which I cannot fathom.  Steve explained how he was awakened by the sound of tapping on their bedroom window--but no one was there. It was either sleet or God. Whichever, it allowed the entire family to escape destruction. They have been able to rebuild and restore--debt free. Anything they chose not to keep others would ask if they could buy. They gave the things away and the Lord provided for their needs.

So...I have fretted for about a day now at the loss of something that I have deemed important! I have misplaced or thrown out completely, a week's worth of slides from a bike trip I took in 1987. I can see some of the pictures in my mind. In the process of bemoaning the loss, I have come to have a sense of peace about it. I have kept telling myself they were just photos. I still have the memories--to the best of my recollection.  And I still have six week's worth of pictures to review.
 
I'm thankful the Lord works in us to teach us and show us what truly is important. When we get the idea, the reality, the fact that the Lord of all the earth is the most important object (for lack of better word) of our affection, the better off we are. We will have obtained the most precious bit of wisdom. He created us for His pleasure, not that we should put all our emphasis on the pleasure of the things of the world that have very little meaning. I'm not saying we shouldn't look back and be grateful for the experiences of life that He has given us. Oh no! They are part of our growth and makeup. But it's today that counts. The loss of those photos have not crippled me. What's more important is what I am doing for Him today.

I'm still in a process of learning. I will always be there. I praise God that little by little He is showing me what truly IS important. I'm thankful that as I continue to seek Him above all things, He will instill more and more godliness into my spirit, that the world's pleasures would matter very little.

But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.  ...godliness is profitable for all things, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.  (Matthew 6:33, 1Timothy 4:8)


Father God, there is nothing in the world as great and as important as You. I praise you for the lessons of life I have learned and how You have steered me to where I am despite my wrong turns, doubts and wanderings. Lord, I ask that you take hold of my hand and my heart yet again today and in the days ahead and continue to show me what is important. My greatest desire now is to sit at Your feet and learn obedience and Your desires for my life. In Your name I pray.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the reminder about the giving up of things and the reverent fear of the Lord we need to keep as our focus!

    ReplyDelete