Tuesday, October 23, 2012

What If? Then...


Deuteronomy 31:6,8 -  Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you. And the Lord, He is the One who goes before you. He will be with you, He will not leave you nor forsake you; do not fear nor be dismayed.

This blog has been sitting, waiting for me to publish. Tomorrow's blog will complete it. Little did I know when I wrote today's blog (a few days ago) I'd be writing as a reminder to myself...

Beth Moore alluded to this in one week's session of Esther. If ___, then __. We can all fill in with our own what if, then statements. Take one concern in your life and what if it as far as you can. If it seems hopeless, if God is not the final word, you need to read on.

As we work through the Book of Esther, every once in awhile Beth hits on a point and we linger there to get the full impact of it. In the last study we were impacted by a what if...then statement. It's nothing new, just another powerful way of looking at it.

I periodically bring up but God statements. If we are followers of Jesus everything is about but God. We are born sinners, we all fail, not one of us is righteous...but God...is able to change us, strengthen us, empower us, if we allow Him. Search but God in my blogs and you'll find several.

So in Esther's case it was when she realized the gravity of a situation where if she did not seek to see her husband the king the life of her people, the Jews...all of them..., would be killed. Yet, if she did go to him she was faced with another dilemma, that of possibly losing her own life by entering into the king's presence without his request...and divulging her identity as a Jew.

So then as a class we began a series of what if questions. They could apply to any of us in any situation. It comes when we are facing any difficulty. We either give in to it or we get through it. We overcome ourselves and face it...with God's help.

If fear is one of our greatest weaknesses the devil knows it and works to be sure it remains so. We all go through issues in life where we have very unsure moments. It may be the very common speaking in public. Oh, how I know about this. But on the other scale of the balance it might be an illness. It might be somewhere in between, like divorce or being the spouse of someone with a grave illness. Imagine the what ifs.

Sometimes these what if situations are what draw us to the realization we cannot do in our own strength, we need help. Our pride may have to go out the window. We have to make a decision how we are going to get through this. I wish I knew how often, really, a person is drawn to God because there is a sudden realization that we are not immortal. Or, in the case of divorce or possible loss of a child. How will we live without... What did we do wrong... What if, what if...

When we are in this sort of situation are we pointed to the only One who can really help or are we shaking our fist at Him for our situation? Do we want to trust a man or the One who created that man?

Remember who created us. Remember who numbers our days. Remember who holds our eternal life in His hands. Remember who desires relationship with us. Remember who has promises He will not break if we trust in Him. I will trust the Lord for my future. So whatever my what if might be, my answer will be then God (will see me through no matter what).

Again, little did I know when I reread this today I'd be speaking to myself! Praise God! Tomorrow will expand on this!

John 14:27 - Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment