Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Every Knee Will Bow


Romans 14:8-13 - if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. For to this end Christ died and rose and lived again, that He might be Lord of both the dead and the living. But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you show contempt for your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. For it is written: “As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to Me, and every tongue shall confess to God.” So then each of us shall give account of himself to God. Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother’s way. 

Oh boy, have these words been coming at me a lot lately. They've been in the back of my mind for some time. I'm thinking it started with all the Obama/Romney ads. I don't watch a lot of them. Too depressing, too angry. I think I have a pretty good handle on right and wrong and although neither man is perfect, one man is definitely the better choice.

Whether we live or die, if we are in relationship with the Lord, we are His. A win-win situation. What precious words to those who understand.

Anyway...I was poking around on Facebook the other day and was curious about a certain site. I knew it was going to be one that I would not like because of the political views, but I had to see what "the other side" was thinking.

There was a photo of a Christian state representative. He was being raked over the proverbial coals for his Christian beliefs about evolution, Big Bang theory, etc. As I read one vitriolic comment after another about religion and what insanity it is to believe in God and for him to debunk the "facts" about science, the verse about every knee bowing came to mind.

Some day we will all know the truth. We don't know exactly how it will happen, but it will. Everyone will know...everyone. It saddens my heart to read or hear how God is mocked and scorned. But then, I was sort of there once. I believed in God and had nothing against Him; just didn't think I needed Him in my life.

My thoughts, truthfully and apologetically, at first were defensive. Like, who are you to question God?  Then next thought is, Lord, forgive them.... We all are ignorant and foolish until He shows us the truth. Only He can open our eyes, hearts and minds.

I thought of the amount of pride that will be brought down that day when every knee bows and tongue confesses to God. I picture a great darkness...that will turn into the greatest light when truth is revealed. For many, however, it will be too late. For many the bowing will come after they have denigrated God with the hardest of unwavering hearts. We all will stand before Him for judgment. I do not want a heart of stone.

It's a narrow road. It's getting narrower. I can see how this world is believing a lie. It hurts. It's frustrating that it's hard to find people outside of the Church with whom a solid, inspiring conversation about our Lord can be had. Really good, meaningful discussions involve the mention of the name of Jesus.

I read the scripture at the bottom after I wrote my blog. It seemed a good ending. There IS foolishness in the world today. I came from this very foolishness so I know it exists. It comes from the very same pride as mentioned before. Only God can change it. But we have opportunity after opportunity to let go of our foolishness. It's all about our choices. The message of the Gospel does seem foolish to some.

Lord, I ask for You to intervene in this world...even closer to home in our country, city, community, churches, homes. Open the eyes of understanding that many would recognize who You are, rejoice, receive and be grateful for the grace of God in their lives and their new-found wisdom and understanding of You. That when the day comes their knees will be bowed joyfully, not forcefully. Praise You, O Lord.

1Corinthians 1:18, 21 - For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment