Thursday, October 1, 2009

What's Your Heritage?


Ephesians 1:4-5 - In Christ, God chose us before the world was made. God chose us in love to be his holy people—people with no wrong in us before him. And before the world was made, God decided to make us his own children through Jesus Christ. That was what God wanted to do. That pleased him.
 
When we were born we had a heritage.  My parents and grandparents were German, so naturally I'd be German.  My husband is German and English (but it is the German that is oh, so predominant!) In the United States we don't really stand out.  We are known as a nation that is a melting pot and diversified.  We have white, brown, black, olive or yellow skin, or a combination of them, which defines our ethnic roots. 

Then there's our religious heritage...denomination.  I came from a Lutheran denomination until I chose not to attend church back in my teens.  I even attended the Unitarian church for a very short while.  Others are Methodist, Catholic, Baptist, Jewish...  We can change that religious heritage any time we wish.  I did.  Christianity is also a melting pot. I don't know why there are so many choices when the Bible tells us just what we are to believe.  I guess it's how so many religious leaders chose to interpret the Bible.  It's like going to a buffet and choosing our beliefs instead of picking one off the main menu!  Is anyone understanding the real truth of God's Word? I only hope this blog today makes some sense because I feel muddled in my thoughts today!

When we are born into a particular ethnic group we have no choice.  When we become part of a religion or denomination it's because we have made it our choice.  Choice or no choice.  

Then there's what God tells us:  He has chosen us...from the beginning of time.  Through His Son Jesus Christ is our heritage.  It's something I can't quite wrap my mind around.  It basically means that not all people have been chosen to become sons of God! What? Yet it's God's desire that we all believe to obtain eternal life.  But He has chosen only some. This is one of God's mysteries, to say the least.  It's His sovereign choice. And at the same time it is our choice to receive Him. Perhaps He has chosen everyone but only some accept.  (Anyone--please comment or clarify this!)

So, what I'm attempting to say is, God calls us unto Himself.  He begins a process where we are introduced to Him--then we make a decision for Christ.  There is our true heritage.  Religions do not save, nor do denominations.  They are abhorred by God because they are man made.  Our true heritage is in Christ.  Our roots are in Christ and thus are Jewish roots. That's exciting. For me it doesn't matter what denomination church I go to as long as the truth is being preached.

I remember my grandmother telling me so long ago that I was related to a Jewish king.  Why for so many, many years have I remembered that little tidbit of information??  I have no idea what she meant but I can tell you this, it was a prophetic word for me, because now I am--in Christ. 

We are told that when we are in Christ we are a new creation.  Our old heritage as sinners and non-believers is gone.  By God's grace we are saved, not by the works we do.  He chooses us. There will always be someone here on earth as part of the body of Christ who will lead us to "the knowledge of the Son of God (Ephesians 3:13).  Upon acceptance our heritage has changed. We are all one in Christ, not any religion or denomination that man has made. It's important that we have a set of accurate beliefs and not just believe what our church tells us. In God's eyes as believers we are all of one heritage, one heart, mind and soul.  It is His desire that: 

Ephesians 4:14-15 - ...we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head--Christ--

1 comment:

  1. Love your vulnerability here! As for desiring clarification, I have learned that Jesus came to clarify everything for us. He was sent to become Truth to us. And if we look to Him and what He says specifically in John ... and specifically in that verse we all "know" ... John 3:16 ... we know that He came so that no one would be lost. Everyone who sincerely believes in Him will have eternal life. That is my answer when anyone has asked ... no matter what it says anywhere else in the Bible regarding anything ... no matter how confusing ... look to the words of Jesus for clarification and ... "His final answer!" Great, great post!

    ReplyDelete