Saturday, September 19, 2015

Yearning for God in the Midst of Distress

Psalm 43:5 - Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God.
Psalm 42:5,11 - Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance.
Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God.

Three times the writer called out to the LORD. That truly is yearning for God. While it is not absolutely known who wrote these two psalms, it is supposed to be more of David's. The title in my Bible for Psalm 43 is Yearning for God in the Midst of Distress

I've noticed lately my blogs have taken on a heavier note. I had mentioned this to someone I hardly even knew the other day. Being a fellow believer she confirmed my innermost thought that, despite distress, we have this hope referred to in these three scriptures. 

I go through times of distress like anyone else and I believe I just came out of one of those times. It was a type of oppression in my spirit which I wonder manifested itself in physical ailments. It's at times like this that we are to look to God and rely on Him to get us through. He is so there for us. He stands constantly at the door of our hearts, knocking, wanting us to open the door for Him. I finally called out to Him and I believe He heard. All that is gone. 

I've mentioned this previously: There is an old picture of Jesus standing at a door and knocking. If you Google that description you will see images of Him standing at a door...without a door knob on His side! (I have seen some with knobs. I wonder if the artist might have missed the spiritual significance of the scripture.) He will not enter in unless we invite Him. But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach): that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (‭‭Romans‬ ‭10:8-9)

The word is near us...the Word who is Jesus is near us always, waiting for the next person to call on His name for deliverance. I'm so glad I responded to His call. I rejected Him big time long ago. It's hard to believe I have changed my stance and how grateful I am. 

There are distressing days occurring. Many don't understand what's happening but they sense it. I'm believing it's during these times some will seek God. There will always be those who will not because they think what we see is just another hiccup in life. Time will tell.

King David knew of distress. He had sinned against God yet God still looked at him as a man after His own heart. If He will do that for him, He will do that for anyone else. When we call on the name of the Lord, He saves us. In the King James Version of these psalms it reads: ...for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God. Health is defined as: salvation, deliverance, victory.

We have victory in Jesus, as the old hymn goes. He can be our salvation forever. He has gone through the agony of seeking and buying us through His blood shed on the cross, all which He did voluntarily, without complaint, because he loves us with an everlasting love. He is our Deliverer. So I will praise His name forever. My hope is in Him.

If anyone's heart is distressed, for any reason, He is a better choice than alcohol, drugs, psychiatrists, even taking one's own life, to ease the pain. If a person's heart is truly desiring a change, Jesus is the answer.

Psalm 18:2, 19:14 - The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.


No comments:

Post a Comment