Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Seek God

Matthew 6:33 - But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

Another blog from 2009! 

Seek God.  These words came over and over not long ago when I first decided I needed to more actively seek God through more avidly reading His Word and listening to Him speak...sitting at His feet.  The words came through sermons, reading and a Bible study I was doing.  It was something our church was doing at the beginning of the year, seeking God for our lives, our families, our relationship with the Lord and for our nation.  It made so much sense when I'd put all the various thoughts together.  It was time.

In a Bible study we discussed something which is not new, that the whole reason God created us was to fellowship with us.  I got to thinking, somewhere along the way over hundreds of years we have forgotten this.  We've gone our own way and left the most important part of our life out.  I was reading a book last night before going to bed about how our nation has done the same thing.  We're slowly taking the most important Person out of the very life of this country.  Or should I say the very life of this country is being sucked out because we are attempting to remove all semblance of a Divine Creator?

In his book What in the World is Going On? David Jeremiah makes a reference to something George Washington had said:  "It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible."  There were other quotes by other presidents saying pretty much the same thing.  And then  David Jeremiah wrote:  "...when America turns from its position of being under God, we can no longer expect His blessings on this nation to continue."  

I wasn't planning on going in this direction!  But I just did.  It seems it fits both situations--personally and as a nation.  My original thoughts were that I cannot take for granted my salvation.  It is a gift from God.  He called me.  I did not search for Him.  I thought the knowledge I had of Him was all I needed.  He tugged until I responded.  He justified me in His eyes.  He blessed me with this gift of salvation.  But it's up to me to actively seek Him now.

How does this fit with our nation?  I believe God gave us this country.  It was His gift to us.  It provided us the freedom we desired (salvation) to worship Him, just like the Israelites and the exodus from captivity in Egypt.  So we should not be taking it for granted.  Now it seems like a melting pot of disasters.  As long as we seek Him for this nation, we will be blessed.  That blessing may be dwindling.  If as a nation we change our attitudes and return to seeking Him He will bless us accordingly.  However, we are living in troubling times.  Our nation faces an unknown future.  As Christians we are not to worry about anything, not about our lives and what we will eat, drink, our bodies, or clothing.  God takes care of all things and aren't we more important than all things?  We shouldn't worry about what may transpire.  If I seek God first...if we seek God first...He will provide all our needs.  I am worried about those who do not know the Lord and do not have that provision for their lives.

I thank God that He never gives up.  I thank Him that He gets into a season of our 
lives and relentlessly taps our shoulders to get our attention.  He speaks so we will listen and capture our hearts. Seek God for our own lives and for this nation.  He will provide the answers, the encouragement, the understanding and the wisdom.  

Matthew 6:30-32 - Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not worry, saying, "What shall we eat?' or "What shall we drink?' or "What shall we wear?" For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 

Lord God,  I sometimes think I sound like a broken record.  I still am thinking about and thanking You for never giving up on us.  I thank You that all You ask is that we seek You first...first in the morning, first in our time of need, grief or trouble.  And then when our needs are met it is important that we thank You.  You know our needs.  You know the desires of our hearts.  You know the beginning from the end of any situation and we just need to trust You with all things in our lives.  If we are not to worry about our needs for every day,  why should we even worry about those things we would like to see happen in the world, our nation, our families, and our lives.  As long as we seek You, You will provide.  



No comments:

Post a Comment