Monday, September 7, 2015

Swords, Division, Following

Matthew 10:34-39 - Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. For I have come to "set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law"; and "a man’s enemies will be those of his own household." He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.

As I was walking this morning, these scriptures, which I had just read, echoed in my mind. How I needed to hear them again. They've been a recurring "voice" in my spirit. These are Jesus' words. They are truth because He is truth. Truth isn't always favorably receive.... Jesus knew that very well!

As I walked I again remembered that no matter what, our devotion to following Jesus will come with a great reward...in the end. The struggles come here in this world in our lives. Another scripture came to mind regarding something else and I found that it also was in the same book and chapter: And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. (Matthew 10:28)  We cannot worry what others think about our beliefs. We must go on with our walk with the Lord.

Even more came to mind. I will try to shorten the mile long thought!! I was an only child. My parents had marital troubles. Of course, I was affected by them. In high school there was a guy in my algebra class that I had a crush on, my very first. I would go home at night all excited to tell my mom about what he did or said that day. When I would come home the newspaper was in front of her face and was never put down. After a time of this I perceived she wasn't interested and I stopped sharing. I would just go to my room. I learned not to talk! My room was quite the sanctuary for years.

This is hard for me to share. During this time we would watch television programs like Bonanza, 77 Sunset Strip, Maverick, Hawaiian Eye. There was always a damsel in distress and a hero would come to save her. I fell asleep at night pretending any one of those heroes was mine that night...and the next...and the next. Didn't matter I was 16, 17, 18... I needed a hero. I needed to be loved. I needed to be heard. I needed to be rescued.

I say all this to point out that that's what Jesus came to do. He has come to save us from the death we live in without Him. To love us and save us from hurts, disappointments, anxieties, fears, abandonment and more. He has come to heal us...spiritually...to give us the life He so longs we have that we do not deserve for all our sins. If we deny we have sin, that's another issue! He has come for each of us.

Just prior to leaving one church for my current one, when I was so impressed in my spirit it was time to leave my church and go to this specified new church, I questioned God how I could leave my friends and all I knew in that church. The scripture so clearly came to me: But He answered and said to the one who told Him, “Who is My mother and who are My brothers?” And He stretched out His hand toward His disciples and said, “Here are My mother and My brothers!” (Matthew 12:48-49) It was all about following Him, whatever the cost.

Maybe not everyone will see the point in all I've written but what I see, and this thought is not new to me by any stretch of the imagination, while I longed for someone to be my hero and give me all my parents never could, or anyone for that matter, that is not possible. What I longed for, and what anyone might long for, can only be met in knowing Jesus. 

So...if I speak more of Jesus than other things there is a reason. I eventually met this Jesus and He brought about a change. I am prepared to realize that not everyone will accept this truth of who He is and what He can be. It's that sword spoken of above. It divides people. It divides friends and family. It even divides churches. We have to find Jesus ourselves and there is nothing God can't do to open hearts, minds and spirits to who He is. Nothing is impossible with God. But...it's a choice we have to make to acknowledge Him.

Ephesians 1:3 - Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ...


No comments:

Post a Comment