Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Cares of this World

Psalm 8:3-4 - When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, the moon and the stars, which You have ordained, what is man that You are mindful of him, and the son of man that You visit him?

I love sitting outside early in the morning meditating on the goodness of God and the beautiful things I see in our yard. He has blessed all of us with the nature He has created.
We cannot comprehend the depth of His wisdom, His ability to create, nourish, grow and sustain. He even knows when it is time to end a cycle of life. The seasons come and go. Praise God.

It's easy to let the cares of this world diminish in my heart and mind when I focus so closely to those things around me. These things of nature draw me closer to God. His character and beauty displayed so all the world can see. What more could we desire to have around us?

As I sat outside this morning thanking God for what we have and knowing He loves to bless us all, a moment of unrest entered in. Thoughts quickly zipped through my mind that could have caused anxiousness about how the freedoms we have might be stripped away. How would that affect us? What might we lose? What might we have to give up? How will we survive? What about healthcare?

Then I was immediately reminded what God has told us; We are of more value than the little sparrows (Matthew 10:31). He knows what our needs are before we even think of them. Matthew 16 goes into detail about this. That's the real answer...the needs. We can have all the things we think we have to have to survive, but do we realize what we need more than want? Do we realize Who we need over want? If the Lord is our first thought in the morning, if He is who we trust in and believe in, if He is what we need first, He will provide.

I never want to get to a place where I am content with the finest of things. I enjoy nice things, but certainly am not one who needs to have them. My happiness is not wrapped up in those things. I always want to remember leaner days in my life and also how I got along well without. I want to know that I could survive fine with less and trust God more.

I'm thankful for this day and what it brings. I'm thankful for God's blessings. I am also aware that the Lord gives and He takes away. I pray for strength in case that day comes.
I suppose that sounds like a gloomy thought but I assure you it is not. God as my Center, my Source, is all I need.

The Psalms were written by King David and are full of praise of the goodness of God, His faithfulness. He blesses those who watch for Him, who love Him and trust when we cannot imagine what lies ahead. I bet I could list one from every Psalm. Despite difficult times as long as David praised God he was in His safety.

The LORD will hear when I call to Him. I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; for You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety. Let all those rejoice who put their trust in You; let them ever shout for joy...let those also who love Your name be joyful in You. For You, O LORD, will bless the righteous; with favor You will surround him as with a shield. You, O LORD, are a shield for me, My glory and the One who lifts up my head. Blessed are all those who put their trust in Him.  (Psalms 4:3b, 4:8, 5:11-12, 3:3, 2:12b)

If all His creation means so much to Him (
...He saw that it was good) and He was able to speak it into existence (And God said...) and we were added to this so He could enjoy our company why would He not take care of those who call Him their Source and Center? What have we to fear?

The other day Oswald Chambers talked about putting God first, trusting in Him. I'd forgotten I'd read that. This morning he wrote about what haunts us. He said, 
"So we are to live and move and have our being in God, to look at everything in relation to God, [like seeing through His eyes??] because the abiding consciousness of God pushes itself to the front all the time. If we are haunted by God, nothing else can get in, no cares, no tribulation, no anxieties. We see now why our Lord so emphasized the sin of worry. How can we dare be so utterly unbelieving when God is round about us? To be haunted by God is to have an effective barricade against all the onslaughts of the enemy."

I'm so glad I had this blog written before reading this. It just confirmed my thoughts and ponderings. I am at peace in my spirit. This is so why we need to have this relationship with an Almighty God that I keep bringing up. We absolutely cannot rely on man.

Matthew 6:33 - But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment