Monday, June 28, 2010

Grace and Patience?

Hebrews 4:16 - Let us then fearlessly and confidently and boldly draw near to the throne of grace [the throne of God's unmerited favor to us sinners], that we may receive mercy [for our failures] and find grace to help in good time for every need [appropriate help and well-timed help, coming just when we need it.]

An old blog from  June, 2010... Don't remember the situation but have felt the irritableness mentioned here this week and this spoke volumes even tonight! I love when God does this.

As always, God gives when it is most needed. Saturday I needed a fresh filling of grace over a situation that occurred. I received the grace and the patience necessary. Grace is unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification according to Webster's Dictionary.

I had just written my blog of the day as well a response to a friend's blog, where I had "complained" about my situation. Then I took the time to pick up Oswald Chambers' My Utmost for His Highest devotions and read the devotion for that day. It was just what I needed. I love it when God does this. Sometimes I don't always ask Him how to handle a situation. It's in my mind and often the answer appears...no doubt by God's plan. I'm not saying we shouldn't go to Him, as in this case of grace and patience. There are times when He's the only one to go to for specific situations. 

Chambers said this: In much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses" - that is where the test for patience comes. Of course, all I saw was afflictions and distresses. Not that I was in a great distress or affliction, but just at a great loss of patience! I'm so thankful for Jesus' temptations in the world. He knew every temptation known to man and, by golly, He overcame each and every one. How did He do that? He did not look at the circumstances but looked to the wisdom His Father had given Him. There is a solution to every temptation in this world, if we seek His advice. Most often the answer is just Have patience, my child. I know you don't understand, but I do. I will handle this...in my time, in my way. Just be patient. Endure.

A pastor one time told about a day he arose feeling all out of sorts and couldn't put his finger on what it was. He was irritable, like he'd awakened on the wrong side of the bed. He thought he'd get to church and spend some time in prayer in the sanctuary. Well, that failed when someone came in with gusto, not realizing he was there, about her business. Disgruntled, he went to his office and put his head in his hands and just called out, What is going on, Lord? Help me overcome this. He began to weep and suddenly felt a peace come over him. I don't know that he ever got an answer as to why, but he got what God had to offer, peace, which produces patience.

Later I read this: ...when we are in the pit, the enemy will try to get us to focus on our circumstances, rather than on God’s faithfulness...So if we let the circumstances determine what we believe, we can be caught in the lies of the pit. - Pastor Robert Morris  Ach, yah! If we let our impatience overcome, we only add to our distress. That's when we need to ask for God's grace for a renewal of patience. Yes, God has the peace that passes all understanding. When we succumb to our feelings, we are opening the door to how the enemy of our soul, the devil, would have us react, and prevent us from doing God's will.

Peace comes when we give it to God and choose to be patient. Patience is enduring. The key is knowing where our peace comes from and drawing from that peace, allowing it to abide in us. But when we become overwhelmed, Chambers tells us not to wait until we are in need of patience and God's grace to overcome. He tells us: Pray now; draw on the grace of God in the moment of need. The second we are in the throes of "that moment" we should call out, seek God immediately, rather than wait till we have a the time to pray. Do it NOW, as soon as we realize that unsettling feeling.

Jesus knows what temptations we go through. That's a good thing. We need only to draw on His peace, wisdom and sometimes just realizing we won't receive an answer and taking God for His word that He does know and He does care and He will handle it in His own time. 

And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work..."My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." (2Corinthians 9:8, 2Corinthians 12:9)

No comments:

Post a Comment