Thursday, March 25, 2010

Transformers ?

2Corinthians 3:18 - But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.

If we have accepted Christ, we are being transformed...we are transformers into Christ! He wants us to take on His glorious image. And yet it's not about how we look on the outside, but what takes place inside. Boy I hope this blog makes sense...

God doesn't often show us the end of our walk with Him. He gives us clues or points us in a certain direction, but we don't always know what steps He wants us to take from one place to the next. The ultimate goal, we know, will be glorious. 

Over the past week or more a series of events have led me to believe God IS doing something in me (He always is). It's hard to know what it is and what the outcome will be. All these events have all come clumsily together for me, but probably very clearly to God. Bible studies, sermons and thoughts have drawn me to this conclusion...He wants to transform me.

Yes, He wants to transform all of us. This is a given. It's an on-going process. But I think there are times when He suddenly wants us to move forward, like taking a large step up after we've been walking on a flat surface for awhile. All of a sudden there's that hand reaching out for us, beckoning us to climb higher.

I've experienced times at night, when I am no more than turning over in bed, a barrage of thoughts racing through my head. I can't put a finger on what these thoughts are but I sense a disruption in my spirit. God enters my mind immediately when this happens. I know that He is not the author of confusion and that peace and joy come from Him. But somehow I have felt that He is wanting me to go through this struggling in my spirit for a good reason. I have sensed, and mentioned it before, that I think there's a change about to take place in me, a sacrifice, a letting go, breaking free. 

When I think of the sacrifice blogs I've written, Bible studies I've sat in on that speak of drawing near to God, so that He will draw near to us, the periods of time at night...when the busyness of the day is done and He is most able to get my attention...and a study we did last night is all coming together. He will do anything to get our attention...

The study at church is from the Focus On the Family group called the Truth Project. Dr. Del Tackett was discussing philosophy and ethics last night, a very deep subject and a well of information! There's no way I could even begin to summarize...lucky for you! Obviously the entire study, when all is said and done, will continue to point us at what we already know...there is only one absolute Truth and that is Jesus, the Way, the Truth and the Life. 

One point that struck me at the end (and there were many points that laid hold of my heart) was how when we come to Christ, a transformation begins to take place. I've known this for years. This particular transformation comes from the word "metamorphoo" and that, of course, is where metamorphosis comes from. We are told in Matthew 17:2 that Jesus was transfigured (another form of metamorphosis); His face shone like the sun and His clothes became as white as the light. This is similarly how God wants us to change, like that we stand out in a crowd.

If you recall the metamorphosis of a caterpillar into a butterfly, we see an incredible change. That drab, lowly caterpillar becomes this beautiful, lofty butterfly. What I'm trying to get to in this whole blog is the struggle....to become a butterfly, the being that is in the cocoon must struggle to push the walls of the cocoon in order to emerge. Sometimes change is a struggle. We cling to what we know and are content with when God wants us to break loose of those things and allow Him to take us to another level in our journey with Him. He wants us to draw even nearer to Him. He wants us transformed into the persons He sees us as, not who we view ourselves to be.

I love how the Lord does these things. I love how He works in me. He knows me. He knows what it takes to get me to listen...by bombarding me with a myriad of thoughts, ideas and His tapping on my shoulder or speaking to my spirit. It's like He knows I need advance warning sometimes...especially when it is going to be something really worthwhile...not that He does anything that is never worthwhile! It needs to get settled in my spirit. 

Transformation. Romans 12:2 tells us to not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. That's transformation. The Truth resides in His Word and when we seek Him through His Word we are renewing our minds, that we might realize greater things in our lives through Him. Who doesn't want greater things? This world cannot give us these greater things, but our God can. That's the truth.

Philippians 3:20-21 - For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself.

1 comment:

  1. Oh for sure ... transformation God's way ... not the man's way!

    ReplyDelete