Friday, March 19, 2010

To Whom Should We Go?

John 6:68-69 - ...Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

The thought has entered my mind on occasion how would I react to devastating news whether it be about myself,  family or country. Some out of the blue tragedy that I could not wrap my mind around. These days may be in the future.

How strong am I in the Lord? In the face of day to day occurrences I seem fine until some unexpected disappointment. Sometimes those little upsets in a normal day can send me reeling. I've always been excitable both for good or bad. I normally bounce back quickly. My childhood developed some of these attitudes. BUT God...it is He I need to stay focused on, not friends, family or government.

So through that experience of my defining years have I learned the sink or swim philosophy? Do I look at others' problems with a "suck it up" attitude? Do I have compassion for others in tough situations? How will I react when my own bad news comes? Have I been rooted and grounded enough in Christ to withstand the difficulty? We will know when something strikes. We can't always rely on friends or family, although we would hope they would offer an arm around the shoulder or a hug.

But would the enemy of my soul attempt to get a foothold into my heart to steer me away from all I've learned about the God who supplies 
all my needs, who takes me through the storms of life, who offers to be my strength, the strong tower I can run into, and the Comforter of that very same soul? When things of life begin to get shaky who's to say we won't turn from the one Person we have raved about? Will we weaken in the moments of our deepest despair and lose our focus on Him?

Right now I can't imagine those who don't know a God they can cling to in difficult times. I know believer after believer who has said "I can't imagine going through this without God." To whom do unbelievers cling? Where is their hope, their strength? Is their hope in themselves, the courts, doctors, or do they turn to some sort of addiction? Those are not strengths but weaknesses, footholds for satan to bring about his destruction. This is when our strength needs to be in the Lord.

To whom would I turn? I've known Jesus for a mere 11 years and have not changed my tune about Him. I know it is okay to get angry with God in our grief, but I have never done that. I just remind myself that He knows why things happen, that they are all part of His plan and I don't know the beginning from the end or what this incident has to do with my life or the life of another down the road. I'm thankful I have not given up or that my desire to continue to draw nearer to Him has not waned. I've always been somewhat fickle; but in the Lord I have not changed my views.

I can't imagine being in this life without Jesus. I think about what it might have been like if I had known Him at an earlier age but realize that His time to choose me was His perfect time. There was a reason for His waiting so long and I need not question that or search for answers. He used my prior history to define me, to strengthen me, to show me what He has done thus far. Oh, there are still areas I don't think I'm ready to let go of. I admit I've not surrendered all.

"I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "My ways are not like yours; My ways are greater than yours. I am the one who created you and I know exactly what you need. I offer these things to you if you give all yourself to me that I might create in you the person I see you as, not who you see yourself as."

There is a man named David Ring. I've seen his ministry tapes and he's an amazing man. He was born with cerebral palsey and all the "limitatations" it can bring, 
but God had other plans than those that had been drummed into his young life, those things that began with "you can't." God will never say "you can't" to anything that is good, especially when the idea comes from Him...especially when you receive Him as your Lord and Savior.

Who would I turn to? Who can promise me things that the world cannot? Who can promise me eternal life? No pastor, priest or rabbi can, noman in the White House. Neither can the Dali Lama or Buddha. The Church might lead us to The God who saves but only He can do the ultimate work. Who else could I turn to? No one.


So to whom would I go? It seems once you've encountered God it's hard for the average person to turn back. I've always been adventurous. Perhaps He's the adventure in my life, not knowing exactly what lies ahead and trusting that it will be an exciting ride.

To whom would you go? You do you trust with your life? It's worth asking yourself. It's well worth the journey. If you like to learn and grow He's the right Way to go.


Proverbs 3:5-6 -Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment