Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Not Quite There

Galatians 2:20a - I have been crucified with Christ...

Boy,oh, boy. Oswald Chambers hit a sore spot in his March 8 devotion from My Utmost for His Highest.

It spoke about relinquishing all. When we receive Christ I've mentioned before there are sacrifices we must make. No doubt there's a reason why I'm prompted to continue to be directed to this. Perhaps there's something I still need to learn--about sacrifice.

More of verse 20 states that it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. Now those are not my words but God's. Before you think me boastful let me say it is another difficult concept to believe that because I have accepted, received and profess to follow Christ that He now lives in me. But He does. Does it show in me? I can't answer that.

It goes on to say in verse 21 that the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. Yes, He loved me. He wooed me and called me. I remember that day very well. If you have no recollection of a time like this it might be you have not fully received Him. I live by faith in this new life in Christ. I would love for someone to ask me about Jesus. I would be open to telling all I know.

Chambers says "No one is ever united with Jesus Christ until he is willing to relinquish not sin only, but his whole way of looking at things." I know I look at so much in a totally different way...but have I relinquished all?? We're all in various stages of growth in Christ. A friend tells me although I don't see a growth she does. She knew me before I accepted Him. I knew her too. I know she has grown. But we're not there yet! It's a continual thing this growth. How impatient I am at not growing faster.

Chambers goes on to say which I think I've mentioned in one way or another is this: "What Our Lord wants us to present to Him is not goodness, nor honesty, nor endeavor, but real solid sin; that is all He can take from us." We cannot in any way, shape or form consider ourselves good enough--apart from Him...apart from our turning to Him and becoming "in Christ." No works, no thinking we're basically good people, no religion. If we claim these words as our belief we are Jesus' followers, we have been poorly misguided. He gave His life for all people; only some will not accept this. These are hard words...and narrow thinking. But it's what God tells us.

Galatians 2:20b - it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me... Does that sound like a boastful statement? Can we claim that right? If we have received Christ, yes. If not, no, we cannot. That also is a hard and narrow statement to make; it's saying only some people have Christ living within them. But it's also true. When we realize this we need to claim it. We need to live it. Am I? Sometimes...but sometimes isn't what He wants. He wants all the time. So, maybe that's why I keep going back to this sacrifice thing. What do I need to sacrifice? God will show me. Will I respond?

When I read this yesterday it caused my heart to pound and brought a catch to my spirit. I've seen this scripture many times; it's one of those that should flow off our tongues. I am hoping that this means I have come to a crossroad in my life or am ready to get off the fence for Jesus, that He's readying me for a new level.

Chambers gives this searing word: "When a man really sees himself as the Lord sees him, it is not the abominable sins of the flesh that shock Him, but the awful nature of the pride of his heart against Jesus." Ouch. When we live thinking Jesus has done a great thing for us and carry on in our own lifestyles this is the pride being spoken of, I believe. It means we have not sacrificed all. I realize that sacrificing is a scary thing. We're comfortable where we are. But God wants us to grow in Him. We are comfortable in the world but greater things await in Him.

The last part of the above scripture tells us that our righteousness does not come from keeping the laws (which we fail to do perfectly). No works, remember? It's receiving Jesus as Lord and Savior alone. It's a free gift. Receiving, accepting, being born again, saved or whatever phrase best describes the circumstances of a relationship with Christ is the first step.

Galatians 2:21 - I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.

It's all about that free gift God gave us through Jesus Christ. His death on the cross. His grace extended to all--free for the taking if you ask Him. There's that verbal condition. Then there's the next step of relinquishing...giving all the bad stuff to Him. Not trying to give to Him what we think is good. I believe this is what causes a lot of people to not receive from Him. They don't think they're good enough for a holy God; God would not want them. But...nothing we have, apart from Him, is good or worthy; it's that unworthiness He wants to take from us.

I'm reminded of the time Jesus spent in the Garden of Gethsemane in prayer. It was then that the Father showed Him the horror of our sinful nature. Those sins of all men past, present and future were applied to Him. He wore them on His back on the way to His crucifixion. He was beaten for every sin ever committed or to be committed. Imagine all the weight of the sins of the world upon Him. How He must have grieved--knowing it didn't have to be that way, but that we chose that path. And He chose to die in our places. We sometimes can't possibly imagine what He did for us. We really do have a tendency to think more highly than we should about ourselves. Shame on us...shame on me.

What do I still have to relinquish? Time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it incredible to realize there will always be that ... next thing to relinquish ... oh, the pruning if we want more of Him and less of us.

    ReplyDelete