Monday, March 15, 2010

Sacrifice--Some More

Romans 12:1-2 - I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

Our lives are to be a living sacrifice to God. I found this anonymous poem some time ago and saved it for future reference. I don't think I need to say much more than this. Do I sacrifice at all times? No. Does anyone? I don't know. We are not perfect. But these are almost as good as the Ten Commandments. This is how our hearts should be in all things. It is our "reasonable service." 

I remember one time asking God to interrupt my day. And interrupt He did! Unfortunately, when that interruption came via phone message while I was in the midst of running "important" errands, I'd forgotten what I'd asked God to do. I heard that still, small voice in my spirit saying, "I'm interrupting you!" "Oh, yes, Lord, you are aren't you? Okay then...." And I heeded the request from a friend. It was the most delightful time and the most freeing experience. That's what happens when we hear God's voice and obey. Nothing but blessings. 

More recently, like yesterday, I felt ignored by some friends...at church. I'm going to think it was unintentional but it bothered me, even each time I awoke in the night...the feeling of heaviness was there. And what did I keep hearing again in my spirit: "It doesn't matter...I (Jesus) am all you need." When I reread this poem, I had confirmation and felt awful for how I had felt. But then again, aren't we human? And doesn't God know?

Imagine if we could feel like every day is a sacrifice and would allow the words of this poem be part of our accepted principles for daily life. 

Anonymous Sacrifice Poem

When you are forgotten, neglected, or purposely set at naught, and you don't sting or hurt with the oversight, but your heart is happy being counted worthy to suffer for Christ; 
That is dying to self.

When your good is evil spoken of, when your wishes are crossed, your advice disregarded, your opinion ridiculed, and you refuse to let anger rise in your heart or even defend yourself, but take it all in patient, loving silence;
That is dying to self.

When you lovingly and patiently bear any disorder, any irregularity, any annoyance; when you can stand face to face with waste, folly, extravagance, spiritual insensibility, and endure it as Jesus did;
That is dying to self.

When you are content with any food, and offering, any raiment, any climate, any society, any solitude, any interruption by the will of God;
That is dying to self.

When you never care to refer to yourself in conversation or record your own good works or itch after commendation, when you can truly love to be unknown;
That is dying to self.

When you can see your brother prosper and have his needs met, and can honestly rejoice with him in spirit and feel no envy, nor question God, while your own needs are far greater and you are in desperate circumstances;
That is dying to self.

When you can receive correction and reproof from one of less stature than yourself and can humbly submit, inwardly as well as outwardly, finding no rebellion or resentment rising up within your heart;
That is dying to self.


Jesus knew all about sacrifice. After all, He sacrificed His life for us. His life was spent being rejected and criticized. But He didn't quit. He didn't say, "Father, I've had enough of this stuff. I'm just plain tired of it. I'm quitting."

As followers of Christ we should have the same thoughts. It's not about us, it's about God working through us to teach others about Jesus, to bring others into relationship with Him, to show them the Way to eternal life. He lost His life and we are to do the same; live for others, not for ourselves. God will bring the reward when we do this...do not fear! If we quit just because others are rejecting what we say, we are rejecting Jesus ourselves. We are to do the will of our Father...that's the obedience part. We are to not let what others think or say cause us to stop...that's the sacrifice part. God will deal with the hearts of those who reject or mock. It is He who does the ultimate heart-shaping work. Mmmmmm, that's comforting.

Matthew 16:24-26 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?"

No comments:

Post a Comment