Tuesday, December 1, 2009

What's Your DNA?

Psalm 139:13-15 - For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well. My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. 

We all have a specific DNA. It's inherited from our parents who inherited from their parents and so on. It makes us who we are. If you think hard enough about it, doesn't it mean we are all related to and have inherited some infinitesimal (had to look that spelling up!!) DNA from Adam and Eve?

What about Jesus? He had a human birth mother but a spiritual Father. Now that's special DNA. That's DNA that proved to be incorrupt and incorruptible. So when we are born again believers in Christ, does our DNA change? Good question? Who has a good answer? I think we hang on to that human DNA but are given a dose of spiritual DNA. And that DNA comes through the blood of Jesus Christ. His blood shed on the cross covers our sins when we receive Him into our lives. His blood is now spiritually cursing through my veins.

So, if our DNA has changed somewhat, why aren't we changed for the better in all areas of our life? Must be that human DNA we still have. Why all this about DNA? I went to a business meeting at church last night.  And here I am at 2:30 in the morning, unable to sleep thinking about DNA. The meeting came as a result of the resignation of our pastor. As most churches experience, division shoots up when there are people for or against anything, including the pastor. We've gone through this...again. It's no fun, especially for one who vacillates between wanting to take sides and not, because it's part of my DNA! Man, did I fight that. Meetings like we had only seven hours ago help to quiet that desire.

Although not all the answers were forthcoming, the little letters DNA were brought up time after time in regard to Pastor and the church body. It was a "wrong" mix. It seemed like a good mix at first but it just didn't work. And I, for one, am sorry it didn't. I understand, however, why. You don't take a pastor from the South and expect a congregation from the North to instantly accept him. I accepted him immediately. I couldn't wait to see how he would stir us up spiritually, the way Southern preachers can do. But there are always those who don't want to be shaken, especially with all the DNA of our church. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, either.

We know God planted him here for a time. There was no doubt there was a reason. Now the question looms over us: what is that reason? God had and still has a great plan in the works but we may not see the end of this plan for a time. Perhaps it was to strengthen Pastor and to put our church in a place where both we and Pastor would have to rely on God more. Perhaps we were shaken, yet again, in order to realize that it's not about a man but about a Man, the Man, Jesus Christ. I know as a church we are shaken and confused and we feel like we've been left hanging...again.

It's at these times that we need to be carried by a God who knows the beginning from the end where we just do not. We need to maintain our trust in Him. We need to let our critical natures subside and stop being so antagonistic, to work toward unity not division as a church. This seems to be a recurring theme. Oh, that our DNA could understand this!! God knows the plans for each of us, including Pastor. He knows the plans for our church. And the Church in general is probably in a time of transition, of being shaken to see which will survive the difficult days ahead in this country.

I don't want to say that no one was wrong. I think we all take some blame. Pastor's DNA was not wrong, just not right for our Northern church. I'm so sorry there had to be a cultural difference and that he had to go through this.  I'm sorry that we could not accept it. We have all been wrong in this matter because we could not try to understand our differences. We always seem to be in a time of healing. How can we heal when we don't try to accept our differences? Perhaps this is what God is wanting to teach us...

One woman asked the question that I think is most critical: How will we know we've gotten a new pastor with the right DNA? The answer, I believe, is we won't. No one man will ever be perfect enough for any congregation considering all the DNA in one church! That's why it is important to look up higher than the pastor, to look to God.

Here is what we need to realize: Psalm 139:1, 4, 8 - LORD, You have searched me and known me. For there is not a word on my tongue, but behold, O LORD, You know it altogether. I
f I ascend into heaven, You are there; if I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there. God knows our DNA because He created us. He knows everything about us. It's up to us to get to knowing His DNA and follow Him through anything we experience in life. Churches, congregations and pastors will see troubles, but those whose hearts are aching for God's presence and God's will in our lives will survive. Let us consider this, finally, as we move forward and let go of the past. We must never stop moving forward...toward God's plans. We must never stop seeking God for His wisdom.

Psalm 139:23-24 - Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my anxieties; and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, so true! We have to always look higher than our pastors ... always.

    ReplyDelete