Wednesday, December 30, 2009

That "Aha" Moment

Isaiah 43:18-19 - [God says] "Do not remember the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing, now it shall spring forth; shall you not know it? I will even make a road in the wilderness and rivers in the desert."  

A friend, affectionately one of my love to snack, laugh and play cards church ladies, recently sent me a devotion that spoke simply, yet profoundly. The man who wrote the devotion is Joseph Prince. I'm not familiar with him but from the things my friend has sent, he has great wisdom for a young man and preacher.

This devotion, in a nutshell, said that Jesus was born to die that we might live. Imagine realizing that as soon as you were of an age of reason. No greater love...to know that you would die for the entire world...not just some but all. That your body would take on all the sins of every person past, present and future. Jesus lived His life with this knowledge. His sole purpose was winning souls, drawing all men unto Him. And did He run from this? No. He devoted His life to this purpose. He went through the storm. He accepted rejection and moved on knowing that not all men would receive, that He would be mocked, that He would not be taken seriously except by what would seem like a small crowd in comparison to those who rejected Him. Matthew 7:13 tells us  to Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it.

Prince went on to say that when Jesus was born He was placed in a manger, which is no more than a stone feeding trough. Later he described the tomb where Jesus was laid after He died. It too was carved of stone. When Jesus was born He was wrapped in swaddling clothes. Webster's defines swaddling clothes as narrow strips of cloth wrapped around an infant to restrict movement. When Jesus was buried He was wrapped in strips of cloth (John 19:40). No one can tell me this wasn't a long, thought-out plan of God? There are no coincidences with Him. Another thought came to me after having heard/viewed a couple of "what the nativity was really like" interpretations last weekend. The stable was probably a cave rather than a wooden structure. And Jesus was placed in a stone tomb, or a cave of sorts. Birth and death similarities.

I can remember that first "aha" moment when I knew I had to ask for Jesus' help and I reached out for Him. I knew deep in my spirit it was He, not a family member, counselor or my pastor who could help me. From that moment on I feel I've become like a sponge wanting to know more and more about Him, to sit at His feet and learn. And those "aha" moments continue even today. When wisdom takes over about who this Jesus REALLY is and what He has REALLY done for us it becomes one of those moments. He is an incredibly interesting person and one I love more and more as I get to knowing Him. I'm so grateful that the more I yearn, the more I dig, the more He shows up. The bond becomes greater and more important. 

It's true that when you let go of the world for God, the void is filled with something greater and more meaningful. It's a byproduct of becoming a new creation in Christ. Old things are gone, old thoughts and old patterns fade (a little slower than I'd like, however). Your life is new in Christ. Hanging on to past hurts, unfulfilled dreams, unforgiveness is like keeping a millstone around your neck. Even the world philosophies agree that it does no good to let words or feelings from the past dictate who you are today. The past is over; move on, move forward.

I cherish the "aha" moments in my life. They keep me moving forward. The "aha" moments in Christ are reminders of what He is able to do, His promises, how much He cares for His people, His children, those who He literally died for years ago. Born to die so we might live. What an "aha" moment when it is finally realized and no longer just words we've read or heard.

Philippians 3:12 - Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead. I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment