Wednesday, December 9, 2009

God Still Speaks

1John 1:4 - And these things we write to you that your joy may be full.
 
What a beautiful morning. First snowstorm of the season. Twelve inches of snow blanketing the ground and light flakes still coming down. Perhaps we will have a white Christmas this year!


So, the Apostle John had so much to say! I wish I could just have you read all of 1, 2 and 3 John! I believe that no matter what John went through in his life after he met Jesus, he lived with pure joy. And it should be the same today if we are in relationship with Jesus, as John was. He KNEW Jesus. He didn't just know about Him, he lived with Him...and in Him. He heard Him speak. And he couldn't remain silent; he had to share Jesus.

In a letter to other believers John was declaring encouragement about the things they'd seen and heard about Jesus. They knew Jesus to be true because they'd heard about Him, then heard Him and even touched Him. When I write, I can say I've heard Jesus. He speaks to me through His Word. He IS the Word. There are some who do not hear Him speak, so understanding what I say might be difficult...either because they don't want to or it's not quite God's timing in their lives.

All I know is my joy is full. I thank God for that. I was in darkness once myself and rejected for years what I now declare as truth. John tells us in 1John1:5-6: This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.

Those are tough words. Why? Because there are times when I'm not absolutely sure of my relationship with God. Because I wonder where I fit in relationship with Him compared to others. And then we are told not to compare ourselves. Am I truly walking in the Light of Christ? I know I'm saved by grace. I know I have a heart for the Lord and hope that will ever go away. And I know I "hear" God speak. 

I found a picture frame yesterday. Within it is this short sentence: God still speaks to those who listen. I couldn't resist buying it. Maybe for encouragement. I can't help but wonder what people think when I say I hear God speak? It's not so much hearing as knowing in my spirit. It's reading His Word and understanding...and attempting to live out what I read; it's the Word speaking to me...and I'd swear I hear Jesus talking. I recognize His voice. He is known as the Good Shepherd and John 10:3 tells us To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep [me] hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. I love that...that He calls my name and leads me.

This wasn't what I was planning on writing! Somehow my words got switched around...or Someone else was wanting these words instead.

Just like the beautiful snow we had this morning...those in this area have experienced the same thing. Those out of this area may hear about it on the news but may not be experiencing it--and thankful it's us not them. It's the same way with our knowing God. You can know who He is because you've heard about Him. And that may be satisfying enough--glad it's them, not us--like me once upon a time. But trust me when I say once you've gotten to knowing Jesus intimately, having relationship with Him, hear Him speak, you will know exactly what I'm writing about.

I said yesterday that it's all about relationship, really getting to know Him. In any relationship you need to listen to the other person, communicate with them in order to know them or there will not be a relationship. It's the same with God. You spend time with Him, listening and praying. There are many who have said a prayer to ask Jesus into their lives but it stops there. If you've not heard God speak you're missing out.

Until I know that I'm to switch gears, I will continue to "declare to you" what I have heard so your joy might become full some day. I'm praying for you!

God knows who you are, what you are and what He wants you to be if you allow Him access into your life. Will you be perfect--no. Will you be sin-free--no. But choosing Him you WILL become His child and you WILL have all the promises offered to a child of His. You WILL hear Him speak into your life and your circumstances. And the joy will come. There's a whole new world awaiting if you wish it to be. Let Him speak to you.

1John 2:24-25 - Therefore let that abide in you which you heard from the beginning. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, you also will abide in the Son and in the Father. And this is the promise that He has promised us--eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment