Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Get to Work!

Yesterday the words "rise up and go" were a message for those who desire to follow God.  All throughout biblical history people were asked to arise and go to do various things.  Rising is an action.  We can't go without taking the step of arising.  

In the Old Testament 
arise means to rise, of course, but also to accomplish, make good, perform.  It means to establish.  I like that word, establish.  That word alone means to bring about.  In the New Testament the meaning is to rouse, as from obscurity, inactivity or nonexistence or to stand up. Putting these two definitions together, I see the meaning as we have arisen out of our obscurity or nonexistence as people of the world into God's new creatures. Once that has happened we are called to make a move to establish, to perform, to accomplish something. God requires that we, as His children, arise to do His will.  

1Chronicles 22:15-16, 19 - "...there are workmen with you in abundance: woodsmen and stonecutters, and all types of skillful men for every kind of work. Of gold and silver and bronze and iron there is no limit. Arise and begin working, and the LORD be with you Now set your heart and your soul to seek the LORD your God... Therefore arise and build the sanctuary of the LORD God, to bring the ark of the covenant of the LORD and the holy articles of God into the house that is to be built for the name of the LORD."

If you have accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior  you've taken the first step.  However, as I mentioned before, there is a time period where you bask in the healing of your old, worldly self into the new person in Christ that you are.  You hear that the Lord loves you and you allow His love to wash over you and cleanse you, change your heart and give you assurance.  But there comes a time when you must "arise" and go to begin your work for the Lord.  For some it will be immediate.  For others, taking that next step is a difficult one, as I admittedly have struggled with.  So much is required.  We must have faith that God will lead us in a direction we may not even be able to see.  We must trust that He will continually guide us, that He will be with us.

In 1Chronicles above David was commissioning the leaders of Israel to help his son Solomon build a sanctuary where the holy things of God would be placed.  God would have a home, as it were.  We know that the Lord does not need a home built with human hands, but it's nice to have a physical picture of what He's wanting us to do spiritually. David knew there were men (and probably women) with many talents/gifts given to them by the LORD.  He was asking them to work toward a goal for the LORD.  This is what God still asks us to do today.  We were each born with certain talents that He purposes for us to use.  We first build a sanctuary within our own hearts where God may reside and where the things of God abide.  I believe when we have done that He will show Himself to us and ask us, with the gifts He has given us, to arise and begin to work toward building His Kingdom.  

We cannot just sit the rest of our lives basking only in God's love.  It's great to sit at His feet and learn.  There comes a time, however, when as part of our heritage as children of God we are to take the knowledge He has given us, make good use of our gifts and become disciples to preach the message of the Kingdom of God.  When that step is taken, He will be there to empower us, to give us the words to do His will. He will guide us.  But we must take that first step, as a step of faith.  He promises:

Luke 3:5 - Every valley shall be filled and every mountain and hill brought low; the crooked places shall be made straight and the rough ways smooth...

Lord God, I know that it is time for me to step out of my comfort zone.  I confess my fear and insecurity in failure or loss, both of which have their roots tightly imbedded in pride. I've said it before and I'll continue to say it until I come to a full understanding of it, that there is nothing to fear with You by my side.  Now let me know this not just as words but deep within my soul.  Cut off the very root of my pride.  I ask for an opportunity to step out of this zone that I should have been out of long ago.  I pray that there would be nothing in this world that could hold me back.  I know my excuses fall on deaf ears!  I thank You that You have granted me this time but I do believe my time is up!! You use the foolish to confound the wise.  You choose the weak to show Your strength.  Hallelujah!  Let this weak and foolish servant glorify You.  



1 comment:

  1. I love your comment, "I believe my time is up!" I do think He wonders when we will get that...ok, enough sitting at the table...now get up and get a move on! Thank you for your heartfelt prayer, too.

    ReplyDelete