Monday, April 6, 2009

Faith in Action

Romans 4:17 - As it is written, "I have made you [Abraham] a father of many nations" in the presence of Him whom he believed--God, who gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not exist as though they did.

Abraham had faith.  His faith was so strong it was "accounted to him as righteousness" according to Hebrews 11.  It was through Abraham's faith that the nations of the world came into being.    

Look at this:  God spoke the world into existence.  

Psalm 33:6,9 - By the word of the LORD the heavens were made, And all the host of them by the breath of His mouth. For He spoke, and it was done; He commanded, and it stood fast.

Hebrews 11:3 - By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.


Faith takes place when action is asserted.  Speaking is an action.  God looks at both faith and actions.  I for one tend to believe positively in the things of God but negatively in what God can do through me.  My faith in God where I am concerned is weak.  And it's something I need to overcome--I must overcome.  In Romans, above, we are to call those things which are not as though they were.  That's just part of the action, though. We need to step out in faith and walk through whatever it is that is trying to hinder us.  We CAN do all things through God who is our strength.

If God was able to do what He did for Abraham, how much is He able to do for us? God spoke this word to Abraham and Abraham believed.  God spoke things which were not as though they were.  God created something out of nothing, just by speaking the words.  What, then, can He do through me?

In James 4:2 we are told that we have not because we ask not.  There again is faith in action...asking.  A commentary on this verse explains that we should ask God for the good and necessary things of life.  This should always be in submission to God's will and with thankfulness that we will receive.  Again, faith in action...asking and expecting...speaking it as though it were.  

If we have faith and believe, He will give, in His time. He has, just by his saving grace, already done that work in ME!  He already knows what I am capable of doing through Him.  He knows that they ARE within me.  So I need to have faith that I can do whatever He has called me to do.  This is why we need to get close to God, allow Him work within us and teach us...He will speak to us and show us the desires of His heart. When we've heard we need to declare it and step out in faith to do it.  

James 2:22 -  Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 

Father God, for some time now I have questioned my own faith to be able to do the things You would have me do.  I know that's not trusting in You and it's, in essence, disobedience.  My faith is just a small part of what other things keep me from acting.  But You have brought me to a season where I believe You are working toward showing me these things.  I praise You for that!  Work all You want.  It's not about me and all about You.  Your Word says there is nothing I can't do through Your strength.  You will be there to lead me as I take that first step, whenever it is, whatever it is.  Show me what Your desires are for me.  Let a door be opened that I might step out in faith to act on it.  

In Jesus' name I pray.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment