Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Behold and Believe

John 5:24 - Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

The Apostle John used the word or a form of the word "believe" 93 times in his Gospel.  This particular word is defined as having faith in, entrusting or having the assurance of.  This word is used so many times in one book to describe Jesus Christ I think we might want to pay close attention to it.

I still think of the family in our church that I've mentioned.  Words like "Jesus will see us through this" and "...yet will I trust You. You are my foundation, my hope and my deliverer" are the words being spoken amid the sorrow and grief.  They are hanging on to the very words of God.  They are believing.  And what's more is people are noticing.  I'm assuming they mean the hospital staff which is amazed at the love and strength being shown to and through these people.  Praise God!

I mentioned yesterday my faith that waivers in some areas of my life.  Areas I know God is working to change.  I'm glad we are always subject to change and discipline.  I'm glad that I'm not looking anywhere but to our Father in heaven for these changes.  These words are added encouragement after yesterday's blog!

Jesus was born, lived, died and rose again.  Anyone can believe that and many will agree with this statement, but it goes much deeper than just an acknowledgement.  Is there anyone in your life you can say for certain will always be there for you?  You might say yes, your spouse has always been a comfort or help to you in a time of trouble.  But anything could happen to change that situation, as seen by this week's tragedy.  However, there is One who will always be beside you--"there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother."  (Proverbs 18:24)

God has promised so many years ago that "No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life; as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not leave you nor forsake you." (Joshua 1:5)  This promise is for us today as well--but we must put our trust, our faith and our assurance in Jesus Christ alone.  We must admit we are sinners, repent of our sins, humble ourselves (so important) and call on the name of Jesus to redeem or free us from our sin.  Then these assurances are ours!  There is only one ultimate gift and that is the gift of salvation of Jesus Christ and the liberation that comes in acknowledging and receiving Him as Lord and Savior.  

Put your life into one person's hands, the One who created this universe and knows all the hairs on your head, who has known before the beginning of time every thought you would have or every word you would speak from your first day till your last.  The One who knit you in your mother's womb, whose thoughts of you are precious. The One who knows the number of your days.  If He knows all this and feels this about you, doesn't it stand to reason that He would also know your needs and desires?  He can be trusted with your life; He will guide you better than any earthly person can.

Hear this word that you might believe and have everlasting life.  Put your trust in Him and He will give you new life, a life full and blameless in His eyes.  This life will be vibrant, stronger and full of hope and peace, despite trials.  Call out to Him today.  He is anxiously waiting  to become everything you will ever need.  You need only ask Him to come into your life, forgive you of your sins and open your heart to receive more and more of Him.  It's a relationship He desires with you, not religion or denomination. He wants to commune and speak to you.  Receive Him.

John 10:28-29 - And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father's hand

Lord God, I ask that You speak Your glorious word into someone's heart this day.  Reveal Yourself to them in a special way that they would know You are speaking only to them and calling them into a relationship with You.  Let them behold the Lamb of God who was slain from the foundation of the earth.  Remove the walls of doubt and mistrust in what You are able to do in their lives.  Build their understanding of who You truly are, that they might receive You and receive the ultimate gift of eternal life in You.  In Jesus' name I pray.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment