Thursday, April 23, 2009

Arise and Take Possession

Deuteronomy 10:11 - Then the LORD said to me, "Arise, begin your journey before the people, that they may go in and possess the land which I swore to their fathers to give them."

God was asking Moses to lead Israel out of the "comfort" of Egypt to go to a land God had chosen for them. Granted Israel was living a life of bondage and slavery in Egypt, but leaving to go someplace they knew nothing about, having little to no possessions or provisions did not make them feel very safe. When they got tired of what God provided for them each day, they began to exaggerate their recollection of what they had in Egypt. They decided it might not have been so bad living there after all. Numbers 11:5 - We remember the fish which we ate freely in Egypt, the cucumbers, the melons, the leeks, the onions, and the garlic... A commentary on this verse suggested Israel was "engaging in 'creative memory.'" This food would probably not have been available to them as slaves.

As we journey with the Lord, He will ask us to leave the comfort of our surroundings and go to down a path He has chosen for us. It's time for us to let go of the things that hold us in bondage against the things God has for us, what He knows we are capable of doing. What can I say? Holding those things dear and letting them go is a process, no doubt. I heard a sermon or teaching once about not living in the past and moving forward. Not letting go seems to me to be hanging onto our past. Oh, I've never been outgoing, I'm shy, I'm not a debater so I can't do -------" But God says you can. He says I can. What in the world is so important about the past, especially if it wasn't so great, that we can't let it go? Are we engaging in creative memory?

Yesterday we determined that God calls us at some time in our relationship with Him to step out or arise and begin to do His work. I believe we will find that when we take that step--and this has happened to me on occasion--we will then take possession of that thing God wanted us to do; it will be delivered into our hands. Also in the Old Testament in Judges 7:9 (and in many, many other instances) God told Gideon that their enemy would be delivered into their hand, meaning God would have done the work. It happened on the same night that the LORD said to him, "Arise, go down against the camp, for I have delivered it into your hand." The struggle Gideon had at one point in his battles was whether God would truly be with him. And when God pared one of his armies down to a mere 300 men, it truly had Gideon concerned. In the end Gideon and those 300 men frightened the enemy into running from them and God caused them to attack each other!

When God asks us to do something, do we also worry that God won't be there for us? If He has called us to do something, why do we fear He will not be there? As with Gideon, God proved that He was doing the work and Gideon was only the instrument. So He wants us to be. When will some of us--no, when will I--get that into my head? I will not be the One doing the work. I am only the instrument. I have asked God to make me that willing, empty vessel that will receive from the power of the Holy Spirit to take possession of those things, those people, those situations that are placed before me. God will not remove Himself but rather empower me.

"As the heavens as higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts...For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord "...My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Isaiah 55:9, Jeremiah 29:11, 2Corinthians 12:8

Father God, there are just so many times I can pray that You truly allow me to be that empty vessel, strengthened by You and empowered by You. There are just so many times You desire that I get out of the way that You might do the work. I'm sure I've failed time and time again. I ask for another chance. How do we know whether we are "waiting on You" or just sitting something out failing to recognize an opportunity? I'm admitting this here that it might be seen as way of being accountable. I understand that it is not what I know, but what I'm willing to allow You to do through me. I'm sure I'm as equipped, or unequipped, as the next person. But You have the power to do Your will through me. Lord, have Your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment