Monday, January 11, 2016

But Now I See

John‬ ‭9:25‬ ‭- He answered and said, “Whether He is a sinner or not I do not know. One thing I know: that though I was blind, now I see.”

I began reading a book called Jewish Culture and Customs by Steve Herzig. He a Messianic Jew meaning He has become a believer in Jesus Christ! While the book is about customs and culture the first chapter explains how Herzig became a believer after a life of Judaism and "kosherness." 

He questioned his believing sister one day after giving his life to the Lord, How do you know that you are born again? He questioned because he didn't feel any different. Her answer was that God would make HIM the best person HE could be and not to compare himself with others. And he stated that he now understood what the scripture above meant.

The blind man from John 9 is a wonderful story of healing, not just physical but spiritual. Only one who is born again will fully understand it.

Now as Jesus passed by, He saw a man who was blind from birth. And His disciples asked Him, saying, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” Jesus answered, “Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but that the works of God should be revealed in him.” ‭‭(John‬ ‭9:1-3‬)

Like this man, we are all born spiritually blind. We did not ask for this. We are blind until God reveals Himself to us. It's a personal thing. It can happen at any time, anywhere. But it comes only through an encounter with the Lord Jesus Christ. Somehow He starts poking at your spirit. He might send a person or persons into your life who agitate! They press spiritual things on you, like attending church, or talking about their church and Bible studies they attend. This happened to me and I was agitated.

Then one day you completely fall apart. You can no longer resist His urgings. And He walks into your life and you don't know at first what hit you. With that the scripture above becomes reality.

I can't say I was fully aware immediately that my sight had come to me but I saw things differently. I had a desire to know things. I understood when I studied the Bible. I understood, in time, what being born again meant. The eyes of my heart were open to the things of God. And it was addicting.

Like I said, until we have this type of encounter with Christ we will continue to be blind. We will read what God's Word has to say and for the most part get it from one level. In Christ, with His Spirit in us we will begin to understand more, but we will never understand everything. The more we want to learn, however, the more He will reveal. A pastor can help but we are not to rely on just a man for our spiritual understanding. We go directly, humbly, to our God and His Word and He will show us.

I am so thankful for God's relentless bugging me! It took years and I remember the day before how I so strongly resisted only to receive Him the next morning. I feel ashamed at times for the resistance but I know I had to go through it to realize where I had been and where I am now.

It's not good to resist. We are to resist the devil and flee from him...but not resist and flee from God. Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. (James 4:7)

Then our sermon in church yesterday was about the parable of the sower. The Word of God is preached and it can fall on four types of ground: the wayside, hard and impenetrable; stony places with little earth; thorny places where the growth of the seed is choked out; good ground where the seed will be nourished. Which soil has the Word fallen on in your life? Listen to what Jesus said: In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah: "You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving. For this people's heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them" But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear. (Matthew‬ ‭13:14-16‬)

This is the miracle of new birth. Once blind, we see. We are all born blind sinners until we have an encounter with Jesus and become healed. Then others will see and know what God has done. He gets the glory. I'd love to hear testimonies!!!

April 18, 1999   (my testimony)

John‬ ‭9:26-27‬ ‭- Then they [religious leaders] said to him again, “What did He do to you? How did He open your eyes?” He answered them, “I told you already, and you did not listen. Why do you want to hear it again? Do you also want to become His disciples?”
‭‭

No comments:

Post a Comment