Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Reunion

Psalm 100:1-5 - Make a joyful shout to the LORD, all you lands! Serve the LORD with gladness; come before His presence with singing. Know that the LORD, He is God; it is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; we are His people and the sheep of His pasture. Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name. For the LORD is good; His mercy is everlasting, and His truth endures to all generations.

It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves. This stuck out this morning. 

My high school is having a 50th class reunion this year. I will not be attending. We were asked to write biographies about our years since high school. I was not fond of high school, was not a good student, insecure, unpopular, with just a few friends. I could dwell on what I think the reason(s) were but I won't. Most of my best friends were outside of school sharing in one common interest...music...in a marching and concert band comprised of kids from schools all around the area. 

So I wrote my biography. I wrote about what to me was an exciting life after high school. I thought I had accomplished more than I expected I would. I pushed myself to achieve, to "show" that I could do some things that would wow people. Maybe that happens more often than we know.

That was then; this is now. Old things pass away and new things occur. More than half way through life I had a greater reunion. I was reunited with the One who created me, the One who gave me my abilities. When the realization that He did this came, I was humbled. It's a humbling experience to know that we are not self-made people. It's not all about what we have accomplished but about praising the God who accomplished it in us...and who we are in Christ

For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. (‭Ephesians‬ ‭2‬:‭10‬)

My biography most certainly included that greatest achievement, the reunion with the God of all creation. How could I not? Yet it still was not I who accomplished this, but the God who wooed me, who accomplished His goal for me, and my stubborn heart which finally relented. I wrote that I know that I am secure in His hand and know He has a plan for me, even if I do t know what it is. It is He who has made me, not me myself. I'll say it yet again, it's all about God. This same God has made each one of us, not we ourselves. 

Everyone who is called by My name, whom I have created for My glory; I have formed him, yes, I have made him. (Isaiah‬ ‭43‬:‭7‬)

It's been interesting reading about people I sort of knew, who had the same insecurities as me, who I always believed had it "altogether." Some accomplished more than they could have anticipated--truly extraordinary things, in this world--some lived ordinary lives. A few had turbulent lives, and very sadly, one has yet to realize who she as an individual truly is. I have heard no one else, yet, say they have met their Redeemer. There are still some bios left unwritten. I'm hopeful. Yet it shows that the road is narrow and few are on it. 

We so long to pat ourselves on the back for our accomplishments when we should be thanking God for what He has done for us. But first that realization of who He is must occur. 

2Corinthians 5:17 - Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

No comments:

Post a Comment