Friday, October 31, 2014

That I Should Bear Witness

John 18:37-40

Pilate therefore said to Him, "Are You a king then?"

Jesus answered, "You say rightly that I am a king. For this cause I was born, and for this cause I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice."

Pilate said to Him, "What is truth?" And when he had said this, he went out again to the Jews, and said to them, "I find no fault in Him at all."


There is something so very powerful in the question Pilate had: What is truth? This was hard to write this morning. I felt discouragement because there are many who refuse the truth. I felt great sadness over what Jesus had to go through for us and yet because His thoughts and ways are greater than ours, He may not see as we do. He knew what He had to do and He did it willingly, without complaint.

All that  happened to Jesus was what He had come into the world for. For this cause... God sent His only Son from holy heaven to live among sinful man...that I should bear witness...of the truth. Jesus is the truth. When we know the truth (Jesus) we have life and we know what, and Who, the way is.

It so saddens me that there are many who don't know what truth is. Many are willing to believe lies; and worse yet, sometimes know something is a lie and that seems to be okay with them. We see it specifically in the political arena. No matter which side, the other "apparently" is dead wrong. There can only be one right. But even in politics it's not totally right. Jesus showed what was right. So when issues that are against God's commands crop up and are disagreed with, a lie is believed. "Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice."

Like I said, this was hard to write this morning. Toes stepped on.

I believed a passel of lies myself, though, before I knew Jesus. Then I found out He spoke truth. Then I found out just what awful things I had believed...things that so went against God's Word.

All throughout the Word are thoughts on doing good, not evil. Evil and good seems to depend on which side you're on. What to one might seem evil is good to someone else. Isaiah pointed out what we see in the world today: Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! (‭Isaiah‬ ‭5‬:20) 

Jesus came to bear witness of the truth. Just as people did not know what truth was even when He was standing right before them, people still snub our Lord and Savior. They choose to believe the lie. This may sound so critical, but it is the truth!

What did Jesus say again? "Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice." If the things in the Bible do not sit well, His voice is not heard. Pilate asked what truth was. He couldn't understand...and it may very well have been God's plan for Pilate to not hear. Or he wasn't interested in getting involved as a politician being in the midst of a religious matter. After all, He did say to the Jews he found no fault with Him. All part of God's plan.

Many did not believe Jesus. It might be hard to conceive that what He said then is still absolute truth. He does not change. His words are the same. His Word will never fail, nor will it fade away...all biblical truths. (Numbers 23:19, Hebrews 13:8, Matthew 24:35).

I know I'm not perfect but I'm open to correction. I'm so thankful I know where truth lies. I know God is always at work perfecting His people but none will be perfect until He returns. It's sad that there still are many who don't even want to "go there."

Repeatedly Jesus had to question when He had been at any fault. Jesus and His Word are truth. If we cannot believe the truth, we do not believe in Him. I feel so critical saying this. But it is the truth. We cannot believe only in part what Jesus says or what the Bible tells us. Jesus died for the truth. He died that we might believe in Him, hear His voice and believe the truth. Many are even departing from this truth. This should cause a lot of people to do some heavy thinking about what they believe.

Jesus did not come to condemn people but that they might have life in Him, believe in Him, trust that what He said was true and just. It's the same today. It's also why there is a more persistent persecution of Christians heading our way.

He who comes from above is above all; he who is of the earth is earthly and speaks of the earth. He who comes from heaven is above all. And what He has seen and heard, that He testifies; and no one receives His testimony. He who has received His testimony has certified that God is true. "But because I tell the truth, you do not believe Me. Which of you convicts Me of sin? And if I tell the truth, why do you not believe Me? He who is of God hears God’s words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God.” (‭John 3:31-33, John 8:45-47)


No comments:

Post a Comment