Sunday, June 29, 2014

That You May Know

John 10:32-41

Jesus answered them, "Many good works I have shown you from My Father, for which of those works do you stone Me?"

The Jews answered Him, saying, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God."

Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your law, 'I said, "'You are gods"'? If He called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, 'You are blaspheming,' because I said, 'I am the Son of God'? If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me; but if I do, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, that you may know and believe that the Father is in Me, and I in Him."

Therefore they sought again to seize Him, but He escaped out of their hand. And He went away again beyond the Jordan to the place where John was baptizing at first, and there He stayed.

Then many came to Him and said, "John performed no sign, but all the things that John spoke about this Man were true." And many believed in Him there.


As a believer I have to take myself back sometimes to the days when I did not know Jesus as I do now. It gives me perspective. It also is a reminder that God change anyone's heart. When I think about how adamant I was I didn't need Jesus...and how that idea reversed itself.

Jesus still shows us good works...signs...if one looks for them. We can see them daily...from the breath we take each morning which was given to us by God to all those things around us...those things we love, and sometimes take advantage of. Everything we have has been given to us. That you may know...

The Jews claimed to understand it was not about His good works that they wanted Him stoned. They couldn't tolerate anyone claiming to be God. The next statement made me question what Jesus meant.
 Is it not written in your law, 'I said, "'You are gods"'? The word of God, we know, came to mere men. It was passed down from generation to generation. It was learned by religious men and taught. I looked up gods in this context. One of the meanings is God's representative; of magistrates and judges. These Jews were religious leaders. Were they not as this definition states, God's representatives? Yet they questioned Him for telling only what He knew to be true...He was the Son of God. He spoke with an authority they couldn't dismiss.

We are told to search the scriptures...that we may know...what the truth is. These Jews KNEW the scriptures yet did not know. Was it pride and stubbornness on their part? God's written word is true so it stands to reason that God's Son, also known as the Word made flesh, tells the truth. Believe in Me and you will be saved, Jesus asks of us. Belief in our heart, not our mind. These Jews wanted none of that.

As I was typing these scriptures and "listening" again to Jesus telling these men He was the Son of God, I thought back on when He was being baptized. The words of His Father at the time of His baptism, the truth, came to mind. I was not aware of the words that were about to follow underlined above. They warmed my heart...He went back to the place where He was baptized. And more

believed. He can so change anyone's heart.

Even more, the confirmation...He is the Son of God. The power of His words...amazing. No denying from me that He is the Son of God. Wouldn't those people who'd heard those words then have spread the word? Wouldn't the word have gotten to these religious leaders? How could anyone who'd seen or heard not believe? Especially then when they had Him right before them. What were those words? Read this:

Matthew 3:16-17 - When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on Him. And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."



...After I posted this I turned to Hebrews to read a little more of the Word. The answer was clear why these men didn't believe...why others don't believe...
For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. (Hebrews 4:2)

No comments:

Post a Comment