Friday, June 27, 2014

I And My Father Are One


John 10:19-31

Therefore there was a division again among the Jews because of these sayings. And many of them said, "He has a demon and is mad. Why do you listen to Him?" Others said, "These are not the words of one who has a demon. Can a demon open the eyes of the blind?" 

Now it was the Feast of Dedication in Jerusalem, and it was winter. And Jesus walked in the temple, in Solomon's porch. Then the Jews surrounded Him and said to Him, "How long do You keep us in doubt? If a You are the Christ, tell us plainly." 

Jesus answered them, "I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in My Father's name, they bear witness of Me. But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you. My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father's hand. I and My Father are one."

Then the Jews took up stones again to stone Him. 


I needed to look up the word division. These Jews were just so adamant. We know what the word means, but... Strong's Concordance defines the word: dissension, schism, rent. The root word is defined: to cleave asunder, split into factions.

Those definitions add more punch. Jesus was great at bringing division. These Jews just wouldn't listen. Did they really want to know who He was? Or were these questions and declarations just other excuses to kill Him because He was more than they could handle?

Again Jesus told the truth. He had proven to them using not just the healing of the blind man but other examples of miracles. The Jews knew the scriptures of the Old Testament where prophetic words were spoken regarding He who would come to be their Messiah. They turned their own blind eyes even after Jesus said that He and His Father were one. Such blasphemy to these men.

Imagine talking like this to the Son of God. Yet some do.

We either believe Jesus is who He says He is or we do not. We either follow Him or we do not. We are serious about Him or not. We either trust explicitly in Him or we do not. There are some who still turn blind eyes to Him.

Jesus was and always will be controversial. He will either be believed or dismissed. There will always be division. We will either follow Him or our own ways. We will be like the wandering sheep or the sheep that follow. It's our choice.

He tells us, My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish... He is the sole protector of those whom He considers His sheep. His Word, His voice will either delight us or have no meaning for us. And that brings division.

Psalm 23 also points out that with Jesus as our Good Shepherd we shall not want. Our lives will not always run smoothly. But Jesus will care for each of us. While He brought division back then, He also laid down His life for all mankind, and offered eternal life to those who would take the step to follow Him, to those whose blind eyes were opened, whose hearts would believe. More where division comes in. Those who believe and those who do not.

Matthew 10:34 - Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword

No comments:

Post a Comment