Friday, June 6, 2014

Continue At His Feet

Psalm 27:4 - One thing I have desired of the Lord, that will I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in His temple. 

A friend of mine also has a Christian blog. She posted the other day about being a C student and struggled with not being able to help with one of her sons' school work when he was still in school.

I was recently in Arizona with a friend. We got to talking about school. I confessed that I was a C student, probably less than average. I went through graduation exercises but did not have a diploma in my little folder. That would be mailed to me after I redid a class I'd failed. I think I only passed because the teacher, the librarian, was not well (which I did not know) and he died later that summer.

But look what happens when God shows us His truth. When He gives us a desire to learn. I hated school. I was not popular. I liked band the most, but was never outstanding there either, other than being able to march and play an instrument at the same time! And reading music was more difficult than learning by listening. Go figure.

But when I met Jesus, I was in my early 50's, about 35 years later, and I became a new person, with new desires, new goals, new mind, new heart (well, I feel like He's still working on that part...)

The Bible has given me a new perspective. It has shown me what is most important. His Word is life. Although an education is a very vital thing, God's Word through His Holy Spirit, imparts even greater wisdom and gives greater meaning to life. I've heard God say to my spirit the Bible is the only book I'd need to take if I had a choice of one book. It was one of those, lower your head and sigh in resignation, humility and total understanding, moments when He spoke to me.

I may still be poor at math, not so great when it comes to geography or history, but I do know how to read. And the words of life, words of wisdom, comfort, peace, promise and a future are greater than the other issues. Hey, we have an internet now! Instant knowledge on other subjects just by Googling.

My favorite Bible is marked up and highlighted. I once thought I'd lost it and was frantically looking for it. What would I do without those pages all yellow or green or filled with inked words in the margins? Thankfully, I had only misplaced it. How could THAT have even happened? Wisdom at my fingertips. I would have been lost without it.

It's not about all the information we have in this world. It's about Who supplies our most vital information. The Bible offers us the proper wisdom and truth. Many don't agree with it because it seems harsh, it doesn't fit into their lifestyles, when He should be our lifestyle. God has high standards. He holds our lives in His hands, directs where our eternal lives will be. I think I will listen to Him over what the general population believes. He offers true wisdom.

I might look a fool to some, but that's okay. He takes the base, weak, foolish things and puts them at the head of His class. I learn from the very head Master. I will continue to sit at His feet. I like that. I will thank and praise Him for the work He has done. So I will not feel too guilty for sitting too long at His feet.

Luke 10:38-42 - Now it happened as they went that He entered a certain village; and a certain woman named Martha welcomed Him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus’ feet and heard His word. But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me.” And Jesus answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment