Monday, March 4, 2013

Good Things


Leviticus 26:3-4 - If you walk in My statutes and keep My commandments, and perform them, then I will give you rain in its season, the land shall yield its produce, and the trees of the field shall yield their fruit. 

  • If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways
  • walk in My statutes
  • pay attention to these laws
  • faithfully obey the commands I am giving you
  • fully obey the LORD your God
  • listen carefully to the voice of the LORD your God and do what is right
  • walk in all the ways I command you*

  • Then, will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land
  • give you rain in its season, the land shall yield its produce...you shall eat your bread to the full and dwell in your land safely...I will give peace in the land...you will chase your enemies and they shall fall by the sword
  • the LORD your God will keep his covenant of love with you
  • I will send rain on your land in its season... so that you may gather in your grain, new wine and oil
  • the LORD your God will set you high above all the nations on earth
  • I will not bring on you any of the diseases...for I am the LORD, who heals you
  • I will be your God and you will be my people
  • that it may go well with you*

Just imagine. If all this nation did was believe in and seek the God who gave us all we have, who created this earth that we might enjoy it and it's goodness and abundance...and obeyed His commands, listened to Him and do what is right....all the other things would be granted to us.

These are only a portion of the if, then statements we can find. There are other if, then statements but I'd prefer to dwell on the positive today. It seems like our part of the deal has less words...it boils down to obedience in seeking, hearing, obeying. God's end of the bargain is eternal goodness, safety, healing, abundance, love. All for the simple act of obedience to Him.

But we have a difficult time obeying. We always fall short. Our human minds have minds of their own sometimes! But again, if we confess our sins He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness (1John 1:9). That sets us straight again. Why is this so difficult to understand?

I think a lot about this nation of ours and think about the innocence there was when I was growing up. It wasn't pure, but technology sure did a number on it, opening up one door after another letting the purity escape. And we wonder why we struggle these days, why there is so much hate, destruction, death...self-centeredness.

Oh, Ecclesiastes says there is nothing new under the sun. There have always been times of evil and perversion, but boy we had it good for awhile. Times do change.

It all boils down to our disobedience to God. Period. Imagine no terrorism, no market decline, no oppression, no disease. It will always be there because not everyone ever will be obedient to God. And we all will suffer for it.

There will be a day, perhaps sooner than later, when God will put an end to all this and many will eternally suffer the consequences. There's the negative in all this, the thing that could be avoided by believing, trusting and obeying God. We would have a very long way to go to make these changes necessary. We would have to change the twisted thinking that has become normal in society today. I know nothing is impossible with God but I can't see it happening. People will not do it on their own. There's too much stubbornness, pride, greed, haughtiness.

Am I being unfair, judgmental? I don't think so if I believe what God tells us. We are allowed to judge when something is so against God's will and commands.

Psalm 119:2 - Blessed are those who keep His testimonies, who seek Him with the whole heart!

*(2Chronicles 7:14, Leviticus 26, Deuteronomy 7:12, Deuteronomy 11:13, Deuteronomy 28:1, Exodus 15:26, Jeremiah 7:23)

No comments:

Post a Comment