Friday, March 29, 2013

Crossing Over

Matthew 16:24 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me."

So, it's Good Friday. Jesus' crucifixion took place this day. What He did for us is unimaginable. He denied Himself. The pain He went through for us stiff-necked people! The sin of the world was upon His body and nailed on the cross. What He did for us…all He promised. "Forgive them, Father…"

I have been devouring Deuteronomy. I said yesterday I was stuck in it. But stuck isn't really the right word. Meditating is more like it. What I'm about to write is hard. I am exposing just a tiny bit of myself.

In Deuteronomy Moses is reminding the people of Israel who are just about to cross over the Jordan River and enter into the Promised Land what the LORD has done for them. There must be a reason why I'm hanging out here in this book! All He did for them…all He promised…freedom, forgiveness, promises, life, hope, a future…when…when…we receive Him and as He gave all for us, we give all to Him.

After cogitating on all this crossing over stuff something came in my email from Carter Conlon from the Times Square Church in New York City. It was an article that discussed crossing over the river! He suggested that many times people come to the river and peer over, afraid of crossing. They see all that can be theirs on the other side but are afraid of leaving what they've known for what they could possess. Remember, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me." We are to give up the old us. If we are in Christ, after all, aren't we a new person? The layers must begin to come off to expose that new person. 

Conlon wrote: Jesus once told His disciples, “I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall show it unto you. All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall show it unto you” (John 16:12–15).

I'm just thinking here…perhaps I have not truly crossed over into my promised land. Perhaps I've been hanging out on this side of the river. Maybe I've been lingering on the shore of the river knowing there's more and better things on the other side but hanging out in the comfort I'm accustomed to. Believe me this is hard to write!! I know we never truly arrive at perfection here on earth. To think I've been one who is hanging on to this side of the river...ugh. And even before I read this article I was sensing there was a very powerful message in Deuteronomy for me…probably even for others.

I have undergone what seems a huge change lately. I left one church and started attending another. It was NOT my decision but God's. When I knew that I knew He was telling me, not asking me, but making it very clear it was time to leave and go "here," I knew I had to obey. It was a very difficult decision. I wept for days and asked the Lord for answers.

It's been a little over a month and I'm still learning the why's. Little by little I see how God was putting the puzzle together. He was showing me things for more than a year and I wasn't recognizing them. I only knew I was feeling out of sorts and yet I wasn't even recognizing that! Not until He planted "Go" in my spirit.

I don't know why I have been moved. It doesn't matter. I know it is God's plan and if I follow where He takes me it will be good. I already suspect there are things I need to learn, need to change and need to go through…as a friend of mine describes, anguishes of the soul. We don't want to go through them but at the same time they cleanse, they heal, the bring even greater freedom and reconciliation…and best yet, a closer walk with the Lord…more peeling of the layers and exposing more of Jesus.

I am so anxious to get started. I know I'm in for mountaintop highs and valley lows. I know the stripping will be painful but the gloriousness on the other side will be delightful.

What's even more exciting, more humbling than you can imagine, and not at all arrogant, is that Jesus cares that much about me to want me to do this. He loves each of us that much. He is so willing, as His death shows, to do this for anyone who will deny himself and follow Him…actually cross over that river, leave what we have known as comfort to possess that which He has for us on the other side.

I have no idea how this is going to be accomplished. I'm taking it a step at a time, a day at a time. I know if He is guiding me it will be good. I know there will be others beside me to encourage me, strengthen me here in the world, but Jesus will be doing His share spiritually.

Jesus crossed over, in a way, this day 2,000 years ago. He did it for us. If He could do it, so can we.

1Peter 2:21 - For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps…

No comments:

Post a Comment