Friday, February 4, 2011

An Even Greater Work


Hebrews 4:2 - For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it.

I'm always between this book and that. Some are there just for enjoyment, some are for inspiration, some are for a purpose, and rarely in that order. A book for enjoyment doesn't happen as often as it used to. I'm not much of a reader, first of all! 

I remember one day having to make a decision about which book to read to take on a trip or something. In my spirit I heard, "You only need one Book" and I knew which Book and who was telling this to me. And it's true. The Bible has got to be the most inspirational, filled with the most interesting stories and there is always a purpose to it.

So, today I have seven books that I decided to take to Arizona next week! The Bible, My Utmost for His Highest, a study on the Book of Hebrews, a workbook on the Book of Esther, Radical by David Platt, a book by John MacArthur and a secular book, just for fun, for a book club I belong to...and have only been to once! 

As I was reading Radical, I hadn't gotten even a page done when the words ORDINARY CHRISTIANS, EXTRAORDINARY GOD stood out in the middle of the page, signifying the next subject Platt was going to introduce. As he pointed out in the previous section, it's not about the fantastic people, talents or finances a church might have. God can do an even better work when the church is small, has the least number of gifted people and not much money. It's all about faith. 

No eye has seen, no hear heard, no mind conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him (1Corinthians 2:9) comes to mind. We just don't know what God can do in any of our situations as individuals, in our families, work and within our church. I don't think it's that we don't have faith. We just can't always see how God will get us through. We are so a people who need to be able to visualize.

Right away I was taken the book I occasionally read for inspiration, Twelve Ordinary Men/Twelve Extraordinary Women by John MacArthur. I was on the fence about taking the book along, but now I know I will. Just one more chapter might hold another key to the greatness of our God and a reminder of what He can do with ordinary people.

Platt points out that when we have all the people, talent and resources that's okay, but God can do an even greater work without all these things, if it is through His power, His Holy Spirit, that we can accomplish these things. And that's just what MacArthur describes in each of his chapters. 

Jesus picked ordinary men, sinners to boot, and women who were at first caught up in sin and set free or who were put in precarious places only to find that they were used by God to save people, to do His will. This is what makes God God! It's not about those who have it all and are so impressed with themselves or so sure of themselves or so in a person's face. It's about one single person willing to wait until God determines now's the time to act...in His favor, for someone, in His time, with His power.

If we could see something happen in our lives that we absolutely knew we had no knowledge, strength or resources to accomplish, wouldn't we have to believe in Someone greater who did the work? I'm waiting for that!! And when it happens, I know that I know God will get the glory.

All that from one heading in a book! Platt goes on to say we are a people who need to be desperate for God. Enough of this complacency and more desperation. We need to be a people who realize that without God nothing will happen they way it should happen. Platt wrote about a man who chose to do this, "He risked his life trusting in the greatness of God, and in the end his life made much of the glory of God." Oh, I know that goes against the grain of how we've been raised up. We pull ourselves up, we live the American Dream, we fight for what we believe is right. And in some instances, these are good. But the thing that most people don't get is that it's done right when God is behind it all.

The American Dream is materialism. Pulling ourselves up is all about self. And how can we fight for what is right if we can't agree with what right is: abortion or pro-life, embryonic or adult stem cell, homo- or hetero-sexuality, creation or evolution? You get the point. Me, myself and I, the unholy trinity, doing what I want, when I want to, under my own strength, no matter what others think. And believing what I do is right and true. God's view of these things is so different. He knows all about truth because He IS truth.  

I don't even fully realize all that God can do with me. And that's okay. It's probably better that way. That's what makes faith faith. But it's that very thing called faith that gets us all bound up. How can we have faith in something we don't see...and yet we can because Hebrews 11:1 tells us it is so: Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. That'll get us every time. We want to be able to bring something we are familiar with into it. We need proof and God says, No you don't; you only need Me. That childlike faith I keep bringing up. I am not 100% filled with faith, but I'd like to be. 

Faith cannot be found in any one person we know here on earth. Our only faith and hope is in Someone we cannot see, but are able to hear from, Jesus Christ. If we give Him a chance He will show us, but that first step must be taken to give Him a try. 

But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him...that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God. (Hebrews 11:6, 1Corinthians 2:5)

No comments:

Post a Comment