Thursday, May 6, 2010

God is Light


Matthew 18:3-6 - "Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me. Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea."

I've mentioned in the past about truth. I've mentioned about the knowledge God gives us when we receive Him into our lives. I've mentioned about shining. I was reading an article by an evangelist named Jesse Duplantis. I don't follow him much, but for whatever reason this article prompted me to take notice. It confirmed things I had written about.

The article was about hearing God. He lightens our understanding when we allow Him. I've written, as he did, that God most definitely speaks to us through His Word, the Bible. Sometimes something you've read over and over suddenly hits you like you've never read it before. That's revelation...Divine revelation because it comes from the very heart and words of God. The lightbulb goes on in our heads because He is the light.

Jesse wrote that when he was reading about creation in Genesis, something just hit him. He was not a new believer but something just stood out like never before. He tells us God is light and when it came to creation He 
"released Himself first because He is the Creator." "Let there be light...."

His Holy Spirit, he went on to say, fluttered over the the deep and when God spoke, things happened. He then said it dawned on him that's exactly what happens to us when we are born spiritually in Christ. That same Holy Spirit is hovering over us until God says 
"let there be light" and He sends His Spirit down to infiltrate us and reveal Himself to us...the same Holy Spirit that helped in creating the world and bringing light to it does the same work in us.

As Jesse wrote: 
"...before a person gets saved, their life is void. The Holy Spirit is on the outside of them, fluttering over them, waiting for the command to enter and re-create 'a new creature' in Christ Jesus...the Holy Spirit brings light into the life of a new believer." Man is searching for God in the natural, confesses Him through faith without even seeing Him and spiritually the Holy Spirit comes in to cleanse us of our sin.

It was then in the article that Jesse said something I had just been thinking earlier in the day! 
"The Holy Spirit flows from his head to his feet, re-creating the man with His very presence. He is filled with light on the inside..."

I remember eleven years ago when I gave my life to Christ. I knew 
nothing about the Holy Spirit. I just know that as the pastor spoke, something was going on inside me and at the right moment, at the very moment I called out in my heart that I needed Jesus, I felt this surge of power that literally came in from the tips of my upraised hand and coursed through my whole body. Let me say this again...I didn't know anything about this Holy Spirit other than who He is named, and yet I felt His presence at the very moment I gave my life to the Lord! If this has not happened to you, you may not fully understand.  It's incredible.

We need light to see, right? And in order to realize who God is, that light needs to be on in our lives. What I want to point out here is where we all fit into this marvelous picture. It can happen to each one of us. Not always in the same way. It all starts with faith that if you truly want to know the truth of who God is, you must first receive Him. You can learn about Him in church but to really know Him you must receive Him spiritually. You must call out to Him. When He turns on that light you can read His Word and understand who He truly is. Then He will talk to you, but that relationship must first be in place. Clergy can tell us about Him but it is our commitment to that personal relationship with Him and hearing Him speak through His Word can reveal (light) the true nature of Himself to you.

The Word tells us that we are to come as little children. They don't question. They trust implicitly. They have not learned a whole myriad of comlicated excuses why something shouldn't be done. It's the same with us...our minds are cluttered by the world about why it isn't necessary to know God intimately. Let's be like little children and let the Light of the world illuminate us.

John 7:37-39 - "If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water." But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive...

No comments:

Post a Comment