Monday, May 10, 2010

Drawing Near


Deuteronomy 4:29 - But from there you will seek the LORD your God, and you will find Him if you seek Him with all your heart and with all your soul.

An interesting discussion point came up over a few weeks in a Sunday morning Bible study at church. It was about drawing near. We draw near to God as part of that intimate relationship we have with Him when we receive Him.

We have been called to draw near to God and I have mentioned before the step that gets us there is God's drawing us. 
John 6:44 - No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. When we have been drawn to Him it is our responsibility, if it isn't already our desire, to draw near to Him. 

Another point brought up was "are we doing what is necessary at our end for God to continue to draw near to us?" It doesn't mean He has stopped loving us but are we doing His will? Are we worshiping Him through our words and deeds so that He wants to be in our presence? Even our spending time in prayer or just conversing with Him is a type of worship to Him. Amazing!

A picture that comes back to me over and over comes from the Book of Songs (Song of Solomon, a love story). It tells us about a young betrothed woman. She is describing the man she is in love with: 
My beloved ... stands behind our wall; he is looking through the windows, gazing through the lattice. Not only is that a description of this young woman's betrothed but for us (men and women alike) of our Bridegroom, Jesus, as He waits for us to draw near to Him, to give ourselves to Him. Drawing near to Him is seeking Him.

There are many verses that describe drawing near or seeking. Most important we must draw near to God for our salvation:


Isaiah 45:22 - Look to Me, and be saved, all you ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other.
Hebrews 7:25 - Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.
Isaiah 12:3 - Therefore with joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation. 


He is our fountain of living water.

Drawing near to God causes Him to draw nearer to you.

James 4:8 - Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
Proverbs 18:24 - ...there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

We draw near in times of trouble. King David knew all about trouble and wrote many of the Psalms calling out to God (drawing near) for His protection, His strength. He also praised God for His faithfulness. He knew how to draw near to God. He knew his back was covered...all because of His relationship with God.

Psalm 56:9 - When I cry out to You, then my enemies will turn back; this I know, because God is for me. 
Psalm 9:9 - The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble.
Psalm 32:6-7 - For this cause everyone who is godly shall pray to You in a time when You may be found; surely in a flood of great waters they (the waters) shall not come near him. You are my hiding place; You shall preserve me from trouble; You shall surround me with songs of deliverance.


We can draw near to God to be taught, to be guided:

Psalm 25:4-5 - Show me Your ways, O LORD; teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; on You I wait all the day.

We draw near to worship...

Psalm 73:28 - But it is good for me to draw near to God; I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all Your works.
Psalm 105:3 - 
Glory in His holy name; let the hearts of those rejoice who seek the LORD! 

We draw near to hear God speak. When He hears us He draws near. Picture someone leaning in to hear your words...isn't is a wonderful feeling knowing someone is interested in what you have to say? Isn't it even more wonderful when you know it is the Lord? But beware what you are seeking Him for. Sometimes it's best to just draw near and meditate on Him, on His goodness; worship Him and wait for Him to speak. Sometimes just approaching Him without the proverbial laundry list of wants is better. Let Him tell you what He wants. He has more wisdom than we...


Psalm 40:1 - I waited patiently for the LORD; and He inclined to me, and heard my cry.
Psalm 77:1 - I cried out to God with my voice; to God with my voice; and He gave ear to me.
Ecclesiastes 5:1 - Walk prudently when you go to the house of God; and draw near 
to hear rather than to give the sacrifice of fools...


On the other hand when we are in need, He knows it and relishes our cries for help.


Hebrews 4:16 - Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.


There are so many more scriptures that show us just how much God wants us to draw near to Him, to seek Him with all our hearts so that we might know He is our Source for eternal life, the one true God, the One who desires relationship, who is our Protector, "our very present help in time of trouble" (Psalm 46:1). Salvation, relationship, seeking, hearing. 

Psalm 14:2 - The LORD looks down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there are any who understand, who seek God.

No comments:

Post a Comment