Monday, February 22, 2010

The Other Shoe

2Peter 3:3-5 - Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts, and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all continues just as it was from the beginning of creation.” For when they maintain this, it escapes their notice that by the word of God the heavens existed long ago...

The other shoe...when will it drop? What could I possibly mean by that? We are told that in the last days before Christ returns the majority of the world will be so caught up in their own priorities that they will not be ready for the attack of the enemy and the imminent return of Christ. I know who I am in Christ. I know I have given my life to Him. Yet, I know there's so much more to offer to Him, so much more to give up, to share. I feel a stirring within me. I often wonder if I'm doing enough. Am I totally consumed with Jesus? Not a day goes by I don't think of Him. Not just through nature but in words I hear or thoughts I have. But is that enough?

Are there things I'm still holding back? Or has my day not yet arrived for all the plans He has for me? I pray for His will to be done but am I missing it when it is right before me? Questions, questions. If I have these questions how about the next? How about those who do not even know the Lord?

The other shoe...that event that happens that brings this world to it's knees. Will it be a time when God is so much more reviled and rejected? Will there ever be a time when the world hears and listens to the truth that needs to be revealed? Is the thruth slipping through the cracks of understanding that only through Jesus Christ can we be saved from all that happens around us...if we choose to hear and accept His words?

I don't think I can say it enough. This is not a church or denomination thing. No one religion can hold claim to salvation. It's strictly a personal choice we make when we hear the truth of God's Word, let it take root in the proper soil of our open hearts and let God water and fertilize it in only the way He can. Salvation is for all mankind. It's for Jews, Lutherans, Mormons, Catholics, Baptists...all denominations. Some just speak more openly about relationship over religion. 

The other shoe...terrorism, unemployment, health care, rising national debt and other things are causing us concern. How will it ever be resolved? Or will it? See what is mentioned as last-day scenarios in 2Timothy 3. Click on this link and read for yourself. I couldn't possibly be making this up! Our enemy wants to see things fail because then he believes he has won. But what's this I hear? He won't win? Why? Because Jesus Christ has him under His feet...always has, always will. That's great news...for those who believe it.

The enemy would be the devil, striking through the hearts of evil men. The enemy knows how to attack in so many ways...through his lies, illness, addiction, unbelief, confusion, fear...anything that goes against the nature and plans of God. We don't always recognize this nor do we always take it seriously. We think we are safe in our own little worlds. We might go about our lives without concern or thought about what lies ahead. Some scoff at the notion that there is a real spiritual enemy. It might come as a surprise one day.

I was driving several really bumpy roads this morning. I know it's the time of year when the ground and pavement shrinks in the cold, but the thought ran through my head...this is what the world will be like sooner than we might want to think. Not just a bump here and there but a continuous jarring of our senses. Are we ready for that? What will be the one thing that brings us to a smooth road again? Spiritually, I believe Jesus. He is our straight Path, the Way. Without following His path our road will always be filled with bumps.

I for one believe I am prepared, but to what extent? I'm thankful that God gives us the strength we need at the exact moment we need it. Isaiah 40:29-31 shows us that: He gives power to the weak, and to those who have no might He increases strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall, but those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.

However, there is always a condition God requires of us to receive His peace, His presence, His protection. That condition is that with our whole heart we receive Him in faith as our Lord and Savior and to forgive us of our sins. He will reciprocate.

The other shoe...could drop today or tomorrow. A sudden accident could take your life in a heartbeat or some unforeseen thing could suddenly be confronting you. Do you know for a fact where your strength will come from if needed? Can you say for absolute certain you will be allowed to enter into heaven when you die? How do you know? I know because the Bible has shown that no good works will get us in (Ephesians 2:8-9), being a pretty good person by the world's standards won't do it (Romans 3:10). Jesus is the only Way.

Lay claim to that precious gift today. Stop dragging your feet or letting pride keep you from taking this step. I'm thankful I know the Way, the Truth and the Life. Do you have that same confidence? Do you know deep in your heart that you have committed yourself to Jesus or is He just a man who lived 2,000 years ago who has no bearing over your life today? Let Him reign sovereign today. Ask Him to show Himself to you. Let your heart be ready to learn His truth. 

He will return. We don't know for certain when, and no man or group who tries to pinpoint a date is to be believed. But He will return when the Father tells Him, "Now." The Bible is clear about those last days. So much we see in the world today is an attempt by the enemy to draw more men away from God and into a form of disbelief. Lord, help us.

2Peter 3:9-10 - The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up.

No comments:

Post a Comment