Thursday, February 18, 2010

More on Freedom From Captivity

Exodus 14:13-14 - And Moses said to the people, "Do not be afraid. Stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD, which He will accomplish for you today... The LORD will fight for you, and you shall hold your peace."

Boy, Exodus is chock full of pictures of what God did for Israel just like Jesus does for us. Mmm, mmmm, mmm. Zechariah 4:6 says it's 
"not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit says the Lord of Hosts." Israel was saved from destruction from Pharaoh's army. He delivered them from captivity and set them free from their enemy.

I mentioned yesterday that it is by God's own hand that we are delivered. Upon thinking more on this I thought about how it is by His power that we are saved. Not anything we can do works-wise can achieve it. That's what Zechariah 4:6 above means to me. Without our even suspecting it, God first begins to show us His truth. He speaks to our conscience or our spirit, sometimes repeatedly until it takes root or we are willing to hear and listen. When He gets our attention He grabs hold and draws us in.

I remember when this happened to me. A friend from work already had been drawn into His presence and accepted His hand of salvation. I didn't have a clue. At the lunch table she began to speak about Bible studies after work or church every Sunday. I mentally shook my head and wondered what had gotten in to her! Who would want to go to church after work for study or spend every Sunday morning at church when there was the freedom to sit with a cup of coffee or two and watch a movie or better yet get out shopping!? However, the more she spoke, the more the words were being impressed upon my spirit.

One day it all came together at a family function. I'd asked my sister-in-law which church she went to, thinking it might be the same as my friend's. It opened a door for her to talk to me. She told me God spoke to her and without my realizing it I blurted out, with very unannounced tears, that I wanted that! She invited me to church the next morning. The rest is my wonderful history...I accepted Christ the very next day. Later I realized God had been preparing me for years although I still had not put two and two together regarding my friend or other things that had happened. 

That's how God works. It's His power working in our lives when we least expect it. It's a word from a friend or even just something we've read that sparks something. For some people, like me, it creeps up on you. I'm noticing a pattern in how God works in me. He knows I need to hear something over and over before I "get it." So He taps on my shoulder and whispers in my ear until I receive it. He basically sets me up! I love it.

He captures you with His power and might and love. Your heart is changed, your eyes are opened, your spirit receives the Truth and you are able to receive salvation from the Lord. It's a work that He accomplishes for us. He has been working behind the scenes to get your attention and then when you least suspect it, He sets you free. 

But more about Israel's deliverance: God became their pillars of cloud and fire during their journey through the wilderness. He protected them. We are even told they proceeded boldly (at least while the impact of their deliverance was still fresh!) I'm sure you know the rest of the story...Israel safely crossed the Red Sea--again by the hand of God--and at just the right time when their enemy was just at the right place the sea washed over Pharaoh's army. God's marvelous hand of protection for His people. That is what He does for us today. With His salvation tucked securely under our belts He will be there at the moment when we need His protection the most.

Of course when Israel spotted the army closing in fear struck and they thought they were goners and complained to Moses that it would have been better to serve in Egypt than to lose their lives now. How often do we sometimes go back to our past and wonder if things might have been better because we don't always see what God has planned for us? Oh, God's unseen plans for His people...yesterday, today and tomorrow...and the faith we must have to keep on going in the midst of friends and family who do not understand or wish to follow.

I praise our God. There's a song I like very much by Casting Crowns that says
 "I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands for You are who You are no matter where I am. Every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand. You never leave my side and though my heart is torn I will praise You in this storm.

He brings us out of the fear and captivity that might be there in our storms of life. Storms will come but we are not lost as children of God. We may not always understand where we're going during the storm but trusting for God's provision, protection and allowing Him to be our pillar of fire and cloud is what we are to do if we so choose to grab hold of Him. Let Him guide you and take you out of captivity.

Exodus 15:2a, 13, 17a - The LORD is my strength and song, and He has become my salvation...You in Your mercy have led forth the people whom You have redeemedYou have guided them in Your strength...You will bring them in and plant them in the mountain of Your inheritance...

No comments:

Post a Comment